new or used equip. cash or credit debate,again!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TTPRODR, Aug 19, 2007.

1. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

now I think about new and gives me piece of mind but too much money to start.
    used worries me about breaking down, repairs,lost of customers because machine
    is down at the shop again.
    Im not a mechanical person so I wont even try to mess it up even more when start acting up.
    In my situation $5,500 to spend on the ztr i want to buy is too much but i have the credit to get the financial deals out there but at same time i know soon or later payments will be coming and i better be in booming business to make those payments.
    this will be a part time but willing to put lots of effort to bring it up quick if financing,
    I can get the rest like trailer,edger, etc etc cash but the ztr.
    what you all recommend throw the $5500 cash for the ztr also and be broke to start and be patient picking up accounts or finance and go crazy advertising to pick up accounts quick?
    This will be a part time only but if get big I got family member who can help out since im not leaving my 6hrs a night fulltime job.
    also im living in a brand new subdivision with lots of houses to be build I think will be a great way to start here and be recognized in the sub as the lawn man,
    what you all think?

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

start small like e-bay used mowers like a walk behind 48" they seem to run forever with plenty of power and will do a good job at a much lower price. as you grow then you can see spending more money and you will know more about which mower will work better for your lawns. even a 36" will work and go anywhere. like backyards with fencing and a 36" gate. these mowers mow quite fast. do your homework and get out and knock on some doors and you will grow in no time. and don't do it for less than $30 per 1/2 hour of mowing. you don't want to cut yards for fun,\ you want to cover your costs and make money to pay for equipment.:waving:

3. Green King TLC

Green King TLC LawnSite Member

you can find some great deals on craigs list. i found some 2 year old dixie choppers on there for 2 to 3k and you can test them before you buy them.:usflag:

4. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

yeah craigslist is a pretty good source to find this kind of equip.
    if I go used got to be some with low hours somewhere between 100 to 500 or some but they still pretty pricey so I think for a thousand more i go new same machine,
    I know walk behinds and all that but i think ztr's is my way to go here in florida ,its being so hot that I think a WB will sweat you butt off even if self propelled and sulky is still more exhausted than a ztr to operate.
    correct me if im wrong.

5. Green King TLC

Green King TLC LawnSite Member

a friend of mine owned his own lawn service for 28 years. he told me to start looking for equiptment in the spring. because all the want-a-bees can't take the heat and hard work.:usflag:

6. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

Just because you buy a new mower does not guarantee a breakdown free start up. It may be cover under warranty but down time will still be the same.

7. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

it doesnt guarantee it but likely wont happen,and last thing you need when starting up a big old spending in repairs.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Don't take on debt unless you have to. Better to pay cash for used and keep overhead low. Be picky and buy good stuff that hasn't been abused, and set back a little for eventual repairs.