New or used truck?????????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, May 18, 2008.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I have been thinking of trading my 04 Dodge diesel for an 08 Dodge. I'm wondering if I would be better off keeping my 04 and buying another 04 or 05 Dodge diesel.

I don't need 2 trucks all the time, but it would be nice to have a back up. It seems that we've gotten so busy that at times it hard to turn loose of my truck just to have maint. done. It I got a 2nd truck, maybe it would relive some pressure in that area.

It's just me and one full time guy, and my son part time when he is not in school.

Also, my daughter will be driving in less than a year. :eek: So I'm thinking the kids could take our car to school, and my wife would have one of the trucks hear if she needed to run to the store on something.

I'm also concerned about the new trucks, because of the problems they are having with the emissions stuff. Also it seems the mpg is not as good on the new ones. :cry:

I just thought some of you may have had to make similar decisions. :confused:

Thanks!

2. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have pondered the same idea as of late, for I too need a newer truck. I have decided to go brand new because my truck is the most important tool I have in my arsenal. No other mower, blower, skid steer, etc goes anywhere without the truck. I also like the peace of mind that comes with a new truck in terms of mechanical care--a new truck is as trouble-free as it gets.

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the reply, this is what we have been thinking, as far as new being less problems. I just want to look at all of our options before I pull the trigger.

Thanks. Anyone else?

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like its a no brainer if you wife can use it when you dont. we just went through this i had an 93' f250 (tired) and 2 2000's, an f350 &550. my 2000 f350 was my daily driver and daily work truck. my 93' was 2nd plow truck/spare truck. to make my 00 last another 5 years we just replaced the 93 out with an 08, which is now my daily driver and only used to plow and as a backup work truck.

now the big question is new or used, i wanted a used 05-06 but they were only $5-7k less than i got my brand new 08 for and didnt have the 50-70k miles

5. bibbo

bibbo LawnSite Member

also with new you get a warranty, i think dodges is 10 year 100k... i might be wrong on that though lol. also with used you dont kno how bad it has been abused where new, its never been

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

your wrong there. engine only is 5 yr 100,000. the rest is 3yr 36k

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I could have sworn that Dodge offered a limited lifetime warranty on the transmission/drivetrain.

8. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

They do, BUT I'm not sure if that counts on commercial vehicles.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Read Dodges warranty it may surprise you that your not covered for the parts that wear out or fail.

A friend had a newer Dodge I can't remember but it was 06 or something around that had nothing but injector problems etc. The money spent trying to fix the problems he bought a brandnew Dodge and saving money. I think Dodge did 15 grand worth of warrenty work to the 06 truck and it still was a lemon.

The newer Cummins is quiet not as good in the mpg market but your not buying a diesel for fuel economy.

10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

you may not even be able to do a reasonable trade in
    i just tried to trade in my 06 dodge on a new truck
    and they offered me 6500 less than my pay off on
    the truck and WAY below kbb and nada trade in

theres seems to be no market for used trucks at this time
    so decide wisely
    g/l