new or used ztr???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kc mower, Mar 26, 2007.

1. kc mower

kc mower LawnSite Member
    from kc

i may be asking this in the wrong forum but i'll give it a shot. i just bought a house that has 3.1 acres on it and i have been shopping around for mowers and decided to go with a ztr. i don't want to spend a lot of money on one ($4000 or less) and so i have been looking at used commercial ztrs and new residential ztrs. my question is this. i found a hustler super z 72inch ztr with 650 hours on it for $3990. or should i get a new cub cadet or similar 50inch for $2900 to $3900???
  2. edhuffman777

edhuffman777 LawnSite Member

to look at it for the long run, you might want to go with a used commercial ztr preferrably lower hours than what you had posted, because when you deal with residential equipment, they are not really designed to mow 3 acres on a regular basis because the manufacturers are probably expecting a residential as 1 acre or less because that is what the majority of people have for a residential property and just from my experience when you go beyond those expectations they wear out quick. but 3 acres for a commercial ztr on a regular basis for years and years to come will be just fine with regular maintenence.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with edhuffman to go with the used commercial ztr