New or used?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rabbit, Apr 29, 2001.

1. rabbit

rabbit LawnSite Member

I would appreciate some insight into purchasing a mower, and whether its better to buy used commercial equipment or new home owner quality equipment.
    I am a homeowner, mowing about 2 acres, generally flat with some smaller hills. I’m over 50, so I want to sit comfortably. Money is important. I can buy a new Deere LX255 (about $3200) with hydro/15 hp Kohler/42” deck or a 10 year old (well maintained and non commercial user) Dixie Chopper( about $2000)/ 20 hp Kohler/42” deck. My storage building has determined the size of the deck, so I can’t do much about that. Dealers for both are about 5 miles away and have good reputations.

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy the Chopper if you feel you can trust the seller completely that it has only been used residentially. It should have less than 1000 hours on it.

What is your gut feeling regarding the quality of maintenance it may have received? Does the guy keep his house/car/landscaping in good order? Meticulous or just so-so?

3. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

I am another residential user. I replaced a high quality (but old) garden tractor with a used commercial mower. There are two major differences.

First is quality. There is just no comparison. The new homeowner stuff has a number of components that you can bend with your hands. There is a lot of attention to looks and very little attention to long life.

The machine you are looking for (And all good quality commercial machines) are built like a tank. If you buy it with 1000 hrs or less you will never ware it out.

The second is efficiency. Commercial mowers are built for mowing. There is a reason why they look like they do, and there is a reason why you rarely see a commercial cutter on a garden tractor. Garden tractors are designed to look like tractors. they are not efficient mowers.

Most people claim a 4:1 savings in time. (I went from 4 hrs to 50 min. I had so much fun I added 1 acre that I was mowing once a year.

Buy the chopper, add a suspension seat from Northern Tool and ride in style.

Frank

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If that Chopper is 10 years old, it should have a Kohler Magnum engine unless it was changed. That is a good engine and I have had 2 of them. I sold one that had 2500 hours on it and my friend I sold it to has put another 300 on it. I went to his house earlier this spring and changed the hydro filters and it still runs great. I had the 20 Magnum on 2 different 60" machines and it handled the 60" deck just fine. The 20 Magnum should handle that 42" with ease.

I would take that DC over the JD any day and I own both. I have a 430 diesel JD with a 60" deck and it doesn't mow grass since I got the Choppers. If both dealers are close, it shouldn't be a problem buying the used Chopper and it will mow twice as much grass in the same time as the new JD. Let us know what you decide. :)