New or Used???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liendeni, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Just most of you guys out there try and find a good deal on low hours used equipment....or do you simply buy new? Please justify you reasoning. I would like to hear it please.

Thanks guys.
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I am a die-hard believer in paying cash....dont finance your equipment. If you can afford new, then I would buy new. Otherwise, use your money wisely and buy a well maintained, good working machine.

There are lots of good deals out there on craigslist, ebay, and in the papers. Do what you have to do to get equipment...but dont leverage your soul to do it.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

you can find a lot of good deals on used mowers but for blowers and trimmers and weedwackers i buy new
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Mowers, I buy used if I find a good deal. Handheld equipment, I buy new. If you find the machine size your looking for with low or lower hours at a good price its worth snatching up IMO.
  5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If you can find a nice, low hour machine then theres not reason you cant snatch up a good deal. But then again, nothing wrong with taking advantage of deals like exmarks 0% for 36 months IMO. Not getting something because you dont have ALL the cash is not something I believe in because there are situations where you may not have all the cash or it may not be smart to empty an account if good financing is available. But you can find some awesome deals on used or last year's model equipment. It just depends on your timing and situation I guess.
  6. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Good replies. Not a huge issue but was just curious if most guys out there thought the upfront cost, whether it be cash or low APR, was worth it. Just wanted to know. Thanks guys...anymore input???
  7. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

same here.
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy everything new because I know I will put a lot of hours on a machine.
  9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I've always bought new equipment, except for the times I ran across a really good bargain. As for the cash vs credit controversy....I'd rather owe money, than sit at home, waiting to get started. (you gotta have faith)
  10. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Familiarity with what you are buying is the key. Just picked up a low-hour Toro 52" Z with bagger kit for a song. It literally saved me one day per week in work, so it was effectively free.
    Deals are what you make of them. Bought a low-mileage Cadillac last year for just below book, and wouldn't trade it for 4 Cherokees. On the other side of the coin, hook a brother up when you can.