New Oregon blade grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a new Oregon blade grinder. It is my first dedicated blade grinder. I just sharpened my first blade (an old blade for practice) and it seems to have a steeper angle than before. Should I adjust the wheel? If so, how? Also, the grinder seems to be taking a lot of metal off. Is this normal? Maybe I'm just not used to seeing a good grinder in action. There are no real instructions on how to use it....forward, reverse, how to hold the blade under the wheel, how long to hold it under the wheel etc.

Also, I am not able to get the whole length of the blade under the wheel. From the tip to the end of the "sharpened part" is too long and it ends up bumping into the motor.

Any suggestion and any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Expert, break out that camera and get us a pic of the model you bought. Is it that one on ebay all the time for like $250 or something close to that?

The one I'm thinking of you adjust the base plate rather thent he wheel.

Let us know which model you got.

3. Expert Lawns

Model 88-019

Bought it at my local dealer for $230. I'll check ebay and see if that's the same one. I can't get my camera until tomorrow evening. I need to get some blades sharpened for tomorrow...really bad

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you have a short bell model. You have to spend a couple of bucks more and get the extended bell (or shaft) so that you can sharoen longer blades. There is also usually a crank or knob to adjust the angle of the cut. :cool:

5. Expert Lawns

paponte, no crank or nob on this model. I however see one on the other models. would have thought the guy at the dealership would have mentioned that when i was looking at all the models. he knew how big the blades were that i was sharpening.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I just checked ebay and didn't see any of them up there right now.

But they had an adjustable base plate that raised up or down. The wheel was fixed in place.

Can't remember the model number though, so not sure if it's the same one you got. I do remember that they were quite inexpensive like yours. $230 sounds about right.

Good luck though.

7. Expert Lawns

I checked ebay as well, no luck. I'm pretty sure that the wheel is in a fixed position. I'll double check the base plate in the morning. I also adressed this in the Oregon forum, so hopefully that will help. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and see what you guys have to say. Again, it's my first dedicated sharpener and I know zip zero about them.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Is this the one?

Blade Grinder

If so, it says the table is adjustable, not hte wheel itself. Do yourself a favor and bring it back and get an RBG.

10. Expert Lawns

RBG? never heard of it. how does it compare to the oregon?

yea guys. thats the grinder i purchased. bad move?