New owner of a Super Z and confused on the maintenance

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by markindetroit, Jul 19, 2004.

1. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I just bought my new Super Z 27hp/60" and cut my 6.25 acres in about 3 hours. Quite amazing.
    However, the dealer confused me on the maintenance concerning the frequency of greasing the fitting. They told me I should grease all the fittings every two to three weeks. I read on another thread here that this is not true. Who's right and how often should this type of maintenance be done. I use mine for about 3 hours at a time about every 10 day to two weeks.
    Also, is there a seat belt I can buy for my unit? My dealer told me there isn't one available unless I bought the whole roll over package, which I don't need.
    Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You can not buy a seatbelt without installing a ROPS, it is a standard item when installing the ROPS, this is strictly for safety reasons / regulations.
    As for your greasing and maintenance schedule, take a look in your owners manual, it states it clearly.
    I am attaching a maintenance schedule here also.

maint schedule.jpg

3. markindetroit

from detroit

Though I find it disconcerting that the only way I can buy a seatbelt through Hustler is to buy the complete ROPS package, which in my opinion if Hustler was truly looking out for the safety of it's buyers they'd offer it seperately, I am still going to find a seatbelt for my unit from a third partyand adapt it to my mower. After hitting some rough patches when mowing, I'd like to make sure I don't fly out of the seat; a seat belt would prevent this.
    Too bad Hustler can't understand this.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hustler does understand this.
    We built industrial ROPS and cabs for other mfg's of farm machinery and road construction equipment for almost 40 years.
    We will not sell a seatbelt for a mower unless it has a ROPS or ROPS cab installed. (this goes for any mfg)
    This is a OSHA regulation.
    A seat belt on a mower without ROPS is not safe, due to the possibility of a rollover or someone flipping it in a extreme condition, you do not want to be seat belted into the unit with out a ROPS, you would be crushed.
    This goes for using a ROPS also, you do not use a ROPS unless you are seat belted into the unit.
    This is why there are workplace regulations set forth by government agencies and this is why we follow them.
    Please understand I am not trying to be harsh here, but this is something that is strictly done for safety reasons.

Pj

5. markindetroit

from detroit

I understand the position you are taking, however OSHA regulations don't apply to me as an individual user. If I were employed by someone using the equipment, then yes, those standards would apply, hence the name occupational safety and health (OSHA).
    Again, not trying to sound harsh, but I just like to have it as my decision on what I would like to use ( or risk ) rather than having someone force what they feel is best for me. It's just like the example that all cars come with seatbelts but it is up to the person to decide to use them. I personally feel for my circumstances, that the risk of flying off the seat from hitting a dip and getting hurt is much greater than rolling over and getting crushed. That's why I asked about obtaining the seatbelt seperately, but I will just need to find it elsewhere. For others it may be a different environment they use they're equipment in with large hills and such and for them the ROPS unit makes sense just not for me. Thanks