1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New owner of gravely 252z Help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Jul 24, 2005.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a new owner of a gravely 252z and I need some professional help. I was wondering where to set anti-scalp wheels on deck upper hole or lower? Seems like upper is to high (deck still sccalps) and lower is to low (deck rides on wheels all the time). Also it seems like in tall grass what the front wheels push down doesn't get cut. Is there anything I can do for that?
  2. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the purchase. I believe I responded to your last thread about possibly purchasing the machine. I have my wheels set at the highest level and just pay attention to the contour of the lawns. Regarding the push down, I have never had that problem. Perhaps a high-lift blade would create additional vacuum to pull up the grass blades that have been flattened by the front caster wheels.
  3. beaver29

If set my scalp wheels all the way up I still sclap on hilly terrain. Anyone else has this problem wtih their gravely 200 series? It would be nice to have a nother setting between the 2 holes that are there now.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 260Z and i have the rollers all in the bottom hole. when im cutting 2.5" or below they are running on the ground quite a bit. but cutting above 2.5" there isn't a problem. i have never noticed a problem with the grass not being cut where the front casters went.
  5. beaver29

I had my wheels set all the way down but I can't cut that short with them down. Some of my customers like their grass cut an 1" high.
  6. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you buy this mower from the new Southland in New Iberia????
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

My first Gravely wb with the floating deck had the same goofy set-up.
    I just put them in the bottom holes, they were on the ground alot, but only touching instead of lifting.
    Frankly, Gravely's rollers are rather pointless...
    I switched to a 48" fixed and the cut is unbelieveably better.