1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Owner Question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MAJMattMason, Aug 14, 2006.

1. MAJMattMason

MAJMattMason LawnSite Member
    from GA

I'm the proud owner of a Super Z, 72" XR-7, flex forks, with the Kohler EFI 28hp engine. I've owned it for all of two hours. I can say that I'm glad I went with the new model verses the demo unit, so many upgrades that really do make a difference.

A question for those more experienced than I. Is there a break-in procedure that should be followed? I didn't see anything listed in the owner's manual and the dealer didn't mention anything specific. Just curious.

By the way, the dealer, Terry's Tool & Equipment Rental in Cumming, GA was very helpful, very courteous, very aggressive with his pricing and very fast with the delivery. I ordered it this morning, they got it from the warehouse 50 miles away, prepped it and delivered it by 3:30 pm this afternoon. Very impressive and above the call of duty, especially since I didn't make any special requests and was in no great rush to get the mower. It speaks well of their company.

The mower looks fantastic. I had tried the demo this past weekend and enjoyed it very much. This new, improved version is the ticket. Might even be a speeding ticket at that!
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Welcome to the family !!!
    Thank you for buying a Hustler !!!
    Break in is really simple.....
    Change the engine oil and filter at 5 hours, change the hydro filter at 50 hours.
    All your maintenance is spelled out very good in the owners manual.
    I would double check your tire pressure and fluids before and after the first couple of hours of mowing.
    Most important thing of all, enjoy your new ride !!

3. dwilmi

dwilmi LawnSite Member

Congrats on the new Z. Thats the one Ive been looking at exactly!!! How do you like the flex forks? What about the 28EFI? Does it have enough power for the 72" deck? Also what did you have to give for it? I'm going to demo one next week.
  4. MAJMattMason

from GA

I demo'ed a 2005 Super Z, 72" Kawasaki 25 this past weekend. It had plenty of power and had the standard front forks. The KohlerEFI has more power and is much more responsive, no lag time. I didn't realize it before, but now notice that this machine wants to go in a big hurry, right now! I also like the fact that I don't have to use a choke to start it up, just turn the key and we're off! The flex forks are very noticable by giving a smoother ride, I would recommend them highly.

I live on five acres that is very hilly so the mower needed to be powerful. My wife had a good laugh watching me on the demo unit saying I looked like Tim the Toolman Taylor on a suped-up riding mower. Did I mention that it is fast? That's another good reason to get the flex forks.

The price was $9,531.00 including the trailer hitch, before tax.
  5. MAJMattMason

from GA

Mowing my "yard" previously on my Massey Ferguson tractor took me four hours. Yesterday I was able to mow it on the Super Z in an hour and a half! And I wasn't trying to be crazy fast either. That'll put a smile on your face!
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 8' finishing mower on the back of a 38 hp tractor and after I started mowing with the Super Z's I found it was so much faster I just sold the 8' mower. I mow both sides of the county road my farm is on for 3/4 of a mile and the other day while I was mowing I had a white work truck with 2 men in it driving along beside me, I guess so they could see how fast I was actually mowing, when I noticed them they just looked at me and shook their heads like they could not believe a mower could cut that fast.