New Paint

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakesidecutter, Jun 27, 2007.

1. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I have older equipment that runs well however looks rough. I was wondering if anyone was repainting decks? I have seen some spray paint jobs that make it look worse than before. Any product ideas would be great or companies that provide this service.

2. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Alot of times the paint from the manufacturer is so expensive as to be a deterrant. Other wise it isn't to difficult to make nice. I repainted the trucks this year myself and they came out really well.

3. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i know fisher makes a yellow for their pows that's similar to wrights color if that helps.

4. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

ooops, i mean plows.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I Rhino lined the deck on my Toro z master several months back and it looks great, I had the top parts powder coated and the front and sides were sprayed with the liner.

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I redid the deck on an old JD lawn tractor that has been well maintained and still runs good. I wanted to keep it to pull around a large lawn trailer( off road use only) hauling brush, trash ect., and as a backup.

Down here Tractor Supply carries a line of paint, bulk and spray cans for most tractor mfrs. Got the JD yellow, took deck off mower and stripped all mechanical components off. Then I sanded, reprimed, and painted. Also cleaned and painted pulleys, replaced a couple of idler pulleys where the bearings did not sound too good. Reassembled and I now have a good back up mower in case my now year old Scag Wildcat has to go to dealer for any repairs.

I have been in situation as homeowner with about 2acres , with mower out of service and getting behind because of grass growth. It might not be as much a problem now as some people in our semi country setting are using lawn services, but I have had to be independent and take care of my own for nearly 30 years out here, so prefer to stay independent.

7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

what brand is the TSC paint?

8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Cannot remember how it is labeled, but is made by Valspar. That is on label. They have some labeled as "restoration" grade!!

I used mostly spray cans, and it went on well in very cold weather with few runs, mostly my fault. The old mower literally looks like new ( body and wheels are pristine, as I kept it washed and waxed, as well as stored in a heated shed). I masked off all decals, signage on the deck and took my time, waiting several days between coats due to weather.( I had to do this outside)

I was lucky that I did this when I did. I found a couple of corrosion pits on the spindle housings fortunatly not all the way through, so I cleaned, primed and painted the spindle housings also after filling any cavities that might hold water, fertilizer grains ect.

I'll probably pass this one on to my son when he gets a bigger place.