New paper adds a waste of $$$$??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I am getting ready to do some advertising for fall clean ups and snow removal. I called my local news paper to place an add. After they told me how much for a month, I hung up the phone. There are at any given time 20-35 landscapers advertising in my paper. The only size add they offer is this stupid little one about 2 inches wide by 2 inches tall and the writing this big inside of the dogone thing!!!! So anyone who would have a hard time reading couldnt even read it. So the price they gave me for this was damn near $2k for the month!!!!!!!!!!!! I immediatly hung up and said wow!!!! I wanna get my name out there more, but holy crap!!!!!! Thats alot of $$$$. So instead I am just going to join my local chambers of commerce. That and do a butt load of door hangers, postcards and flyers. Just had to vent that one out there. How much do some of you guys/gals pay for a monthly newspaper add and how big is the add?? I just wanna see the different prices so I can laugh at what a ridiculous price that was.

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes advertising in the newspaper is expensive. I am currently running an ad in what they call the Business Card Corner. The ads are about the size of a standard business card. It costs me over $200 a month and it doesn't really generate any business. I think I will let my 13 week commitment expire and be done with newspapers.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That's odd, the price at least.

I get a 2x4" ad in the neighboring town's newspaper for 39/week.

Shop around, maybe you can find a different paper locally for a lot less...?

4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Well price in directly rated to the papers circulation.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, two grand a month seems astronomical for a 2"x2" ad.

This spring I ran a 3"x4" for six weeks, the total bill was about $200 if I remember correctly. As I recall, I got one clean-up and a bi-weekly lawn account off it. It did generate several calls from price shoppers, though.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, this paper covers the county I live in, Lake County, in which there are 8 different small towns. They are not big by any means. Im not exactly sure the coverage area, but its def. not worth 2grand a month!!!! I ran an ad about 3 years ago for snowplowing and got 5 calls, 4 price shoppers and one signed contract. Hardly even worth the money

7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I've had the best response on ads in a local ad flyer called the Pennysaver. It's free, and gets delivered to everybody in the county. 0% return on the newspaper ads for some reason.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, small, LOCAL newspapers, not the big Sunday paper, it's great if it covers the whole county but the trick is to find the one that works for you, in my area we have several dozen of these small papers, some are free, some are not, whatever (no, none are free to advertise in lol), some are a total waste others are a gold mine, the rest fall in between.

But yeah, small stuff, I stay away from the big guys.
    The trial and error part's the worst of it, but once over that hump there's some smooth sailing in the foreseeable forecast.

9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

We try to hang with the big guys because thats where the money is at. To be a successful businessman you have to take risk.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

here's one for ya.........

Go print up your flyers, Join the Chamber, go pass out the flyers. then Go do the math....how many customers will you reach, for how much $...

hummmmmmmm