new paragraph in my mow + blow contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 30, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what are your feelings on this:" xyz landscaping is licensed by the d.e.p to provide you with any lawn treaments you will need. should customer choose to outsource this service, it is understood that aplications must me made around the mowing schedule. any fertilizers or pesticide aplications should be made after mowing service is completed, or 2-3 days before the next scheduled mowing service. mowing a freshly treated lawn is a health hazard to our staff. should we arrive to a freshly treated lawn, we will not mow the freshly treated lawn, and service will commence on the next scheduled visit." opinions please

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like a smart move to me bg

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

right? i mean, cmon, who in thier right mind is gonna run over a lawn that was just treated, with god only knows what, and at what rate, and inhale + injest chemicals? that's INSANE!!!! afterall, if they want to outsource, thier company may be there 4-6 times a season, i'm there 30 times. let them work around us. correct?

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds pritty good to me. Educate the customers. Most dont ever think about lawncare stuff, but they can tell ya whats on sale down at shoe carnival

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

it doesn't say that your going to charge them even though your not cutting. Are you really going to let that fertilized lawn go for 2 weeks without a cut? What if it rains a day or two in between? Now you might be cutting it 4 times and only getting paid for 1 cut.

:)

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think it's smart, can't be too careful there without the health insurance :rolleyes:

I agree though, I've tried to explain to customers that I AM THEIR REGULAR GUY, and any chemical company should work around me, seems only logical and fair.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Dunno bout you bg, but I am not all that crazy about servicing a lawn that is treated by another firm. A, I don't know what they are putting down, and B, how much of it. BTW, there is no way in hell I will service an account that has TGCL on it. All they want to do is spray N on it till the cows come home and I wind up having to double cut it every week...I said no more of that years ago too.

If I can't control the growth rate, you can color me gone.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

i charge for seasonal maint. i have eliminated completely the word "weekly" from my contracts, all of them. never again say "weekly", cus they will use that against you, if u miss cus of rain. it's "seasonal mowing maint." period. will this cost me clients? you betcha. do i care? not at all. naturally, i'd like to keep them, but i aint playing the lawnboy game. been there, done that, got a tee shirt (4xl). and rod, i agree, however....tgcl + others like them have cornered the market, to not service who they service, would bury me quickly. WHAT I AM HOPING THOUGH, that the wording in my contracts will accomplish, is to get them to sign with us for mows + ferts.

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Ah I see. Well you didn't tell us that you were gunna charge anyway...I wouldn't expect anything less from you though. I should of just figured.

You wear 4x t-shirts? Where you find them I need 4x that are extra long, when I'm going around on my hands and knees making sure all the grass blades are level for my customers (because I do everything they tell me) my butt hangs out...it looks unprofessional I think.

10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I fert and spray nearly every account I mow, one thing I point out that helps is this. If their lawn starts developing a problem, ie bugs, fungus, drought etc. my guys are there once a week and will notice and report it ASAP so we can treat it ASAP. TGCL is only on their property once every 4-6weeks. This also helps me get more of my spraying clients to sign up for weekly maintenance. That's a big plus for me since I started in the application business and just added mowing a few years ago. I have nearly 10 fert & spray accounts for every mowing account. Most of my fert accounts mow their own:mad:
    I really do train my mowing crew to recognize and identify those problems too, impresses the heck out of clients when they go to the door and say, 'hey we found billbugs in your side lawn and a spray truck will be by tomorrow.'