1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Part Time Business

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by deck99, Nov 5, 2004.

1. deck99

deck99 LawnSite Member

Hi folks,
    I'm new to the forum and I would appreciate your comments. I am a yard nut always looking to perfect my lawn. I am also always looking to find ways to have fun and make more money. A couple years ago I tried to find a lawn care company to spray my lawn with liquid fertilizer. The first two companies I called could not take on anymore business! They finally referred my to another guy who I eventually hired but wasn't that impressed. Now I am thinking that I would like to get a piece of the business on a part time basis. I have a regular full time job but supplemental income is always nice.

Anyway, I am thinking about taking the training and getting the necessary commercial certification to spray lawns myself. I have a few questions.
    I just happened to find a spray system for sale today. $450 for a trailer with a poly tank (150-200 gal) with a gas engine/pump with 250 ft of hose on a reel. Where can I find information in regards to what spray gun to use at the end of the hose, etc. Right now it just has a ball valve at the end of the hose. All comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your help.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome Deck. :waving: If you don't get the answer you are looking for you might want to post this in the <b>Pest Control & Fertilizer Application</B> Forum
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Well the Mod's already did it for you! Good luck!
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is a Lesco near you, that would be a good place to visit. They would show you the types of sprayguns most commonly used by the local pros.
  5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Welcome to the site! :waving:
  6. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I would start by saying taking care of your lawn is way different than taking care of other peoples lawns. Because your in control of all factors with your own property and you will have little control with customers.

That doesn't mean it cant be done.

When you say "liquid Fert" do you mean truly liquid base fertilizer? Because you will need to have a storage system and a fill system to get it into your tank. Unless you can buy it in 55 gallon drums, but I would assume it wouldn't be cost effective to do this.

IMO, being in this business for 19 years now, I feel granular fert is far better than any liquid out there, in results, ease of applications and cost per K. Now liquid does have its place, with weed control, fungicides and being able to mix a whole bunch of products and do the lawn once.
  7. deck99

deck99 LawnSite Member

I agree with your comments on granular. After a lot of research it seems like the best way to start. Thanks for the comments.