New PC Control

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kaipia, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Kaipia

Kaipia LawnSite Member

Just checking to see if anyone here has used the PC control from Irritrol I am installing one for my uncle to see if it works well or not for future installs.

( although I had to order a new one since my uncle unknown to me decided to help me out by wiring the clock up to the electrical which he hooked up wrong :confused: and he now has a nifty looking paper weight.) :hammerhead:

Thanks and I will update with my opinion once I get the new clock.

2. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Could have sworn I posted in that post... Oh well.

PC Control is gods gift to affordable remoting and PC integration, combined. Installed many, have numerous, couple in the works. Not a complaint yet. Even ET integration. Just sold the boss on them. About as hard as converting a Catholic.

4. Kaipia

Kaipia LawnSite Member

Sorry for posting something that was already there, for some reason at the time the search feature was not showing me anything I think my computer was choking...thanks for the direction and the help.:)

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

So did you use it?

6. mangusta1969

mangusta1969 LawnSite Member

Couple of questions for you Irritrol PCControl users:

Can the Irritrol PCControl system be programmed for station duration times, watering days, duty cycle (+, - percentage variations) and start times without using a PC (i.e., just using the remote control's buttons and LCD)?

Anyone got a PCControl base unit located in the basement? What kind of range does the remote control have in this situation when you are trying to use it in the yard?

Is there a web site from which I can download the PCControl Software Users Manual? (BTW, this manual is not available on the irritrol.com site). This manual would probably answer all of my questions and more, but I cannot find one online. I am trying to assess whether non-computer-jocks can use this device.

Thanks!

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

You cannot program or make changes to the program via the remote only.

Never had one in the basement yet, but they have an outdoor model this year, solves that problem.

They say the software is free to share, since it does no good for you without the controller. Manual is in the software, or you could get a written manual fromyour supplier.

8. mangusta1969

mangusta1969 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I was sort of hoping I didn't have to control the unit's every move with a PC. I guess the remote can just be used to activate selected stations or all stations and they will run either a specified time or for their pre-programmed durations. I'll see if I can get the software user's manual directly from Irritrol, as none of the suppliers here in Northern NV (even the ones shown on Irritrol's web site) even carry Irritrol Controllers.

I am still interested in the effective range of the remote, as the yard in question is about .8 acre in size and the control unit is located in the basement of the house. Would appreciate any comments about the effective range you PC Control users have experienced.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Basement material, assuming concrete, could hinder the range. If your geeky enough, I bet you could add an antenna to the controller, and run it out to the top of the house, or other suitable area. I will also look into this, interesting.

With regular framed construction, I've had numerous controllers in the middle of the house without any lapse in coverage by remote.