1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New perma problem?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Nov 10, 2004.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Has anybody encountered this with their perma green?
    The slide plate adjusts itself.
    This is what happens.
    When spreading the plate slowly closes, so as to spread less fert. BUT at the same time now it won't close all the way so it still spits out fert. Basically when you want to spread it doesn't spread enough and when you want it closed it continues to spread.

It is at the mechanic for the 3rd time today and now he is just scratching his head saying I need a new hopper and slide plate.
    BTW it only has 37.4 hours.
    SHOULDA BOUGHT THE Z................
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, the Z is a no brainer!
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

have that problem with the centri unit

the ultra does not have that problem. well, it does 'spit' out fert when in the closed position...only happens when traveling down a newly sealed driveway though LOL. fert will get stuck inbetween the slide plate and the hopper and cause that spitting. needs to be thouroughly cleaned daily

what model you using?
  4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Oh ya the ultra has this problem, however only when doing lime or fert a lime. It is the weirdest thing after about 4-5 bags of product, the plate just doesn't slide shut, it gets all caked up with lime, so the only way to solve it is to wash it out with water, yes on the road this sucks, plus you need to dry it well with a blower before you use it again.

People at perma green says, " ya gotta clean it more often " So I blow it clean with my back pack blower after every lawn, but it still happens. One guy actually says to me " we don't lime much here, so we didn't have that problem" Funny how my $350 lesco push spreader can go weeks with out washing and never had that problem. Leave it to pg to screw up a lesco spreader :p

I have been using talc powder, any dry lube would work, and that seems to help a little, I can get through a 1/2 day without washing hopper. I just dump allot inside the spreader on the 3 holes, and I took off the little z arm that shakes back and forth, that thing use to just grind up the lime into fine powder and cause all types of problems.

Hey welcome to the world of pg ;)
  5. My PG ultra has the same problem. I adjusted the extendable beam that connects the plate to the control lever as a temporary fix.
    That bottom plate seems to bind up and stick also.

I agree that PG has invented a way to compliacate a simple thing like that and cause many headaches.
  6. turf hokie

I spread exactly 3500 sq ft after picking up the unit from the mechanic. Clean as a whistle. The problem started at the end of the last round with 18-0-18 and started 5 minutes into round 5 with 32-5-7.
    I don't mind it spitting out so much as the fact that the holes recalibrate themselves at will. I started at a lesco calibration guide #14 and 1/2 a bag later it had adjusted down to a #10.
    They are ordering a new hopper and slide plate, we'll see.........
    I spoke to a local company who loves the PG and wants to sell his Z-aerator. He doesn't use it as his lawns are small. only 1 season maybe 200hrs.
    it has a spiker and aerator attachment and Tom custom fit it to carry the spray/spread system at the same time as the aerator...Think I might trade him.
    Back to the problem....has anyone had this particular problem with the calibration changing and what was your solution. I tried the cleaning and keeping it lubed thing but I am just really peeved at the PG and at LESCO for their inability to help me as they have had my machine for long enough now.
  7. turf hokie

oh yea it is an ultra se with under 40 hours. unless you include down time then double that to 80hrs
  8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't had the decreasing rate problem but I have had the incomplete gate closing. I t happens with the 10-20-20 I 'm using, the pellets are about half again as big as the other ferts I use and a couple pellets get jammed in the slide plate and cause it to bind. I clean it out and go on. I can't see how a material problem is PG's fault.
  9. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Phill, come on, are you kidding me........they made the machine, sold the machine, and now the machine cant do what it should and you cant see how its there fault.

All these product flow fine thru all other spreaders with out any problems....but they dont thru their machine.

Somewhere between when they got the utlra hoppers in, and when they sent the machine out the door to us end users, they missed something. Because all hoppers work fine, Ive never had that problem in the 19 years and millions of sqft of lawns I have pushed in the past. But they told me they drove it around the parking lot a few times before they send them out. So I guess your fine with that R&D huh?
  10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Whoa, calm down! I 'm saying that not every problem is their fault. My lesco push spreader gets clogged all the time on a humid day. I have to kick it all day long to get it to flow. If I leave any material in over nite its has to be dumped out and cleaned.

Look, I think the pg ultra has some flaws, like the ridiculous gas tank deal and the lack of attention to detail in the construction(rough welds, burrs from the cuts in the tubing,etc.) Lack of ergonomic design in the handle bar.
    But look I've been doing this work since 83 and there is no perfect setup!