New photo gear

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Landscape Illuminating, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We got a nice little storm that stuck pretty well, so I thought I'd head out for my first night shoot. Here are some shots. I'm still trying to talk them into dormer lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-LI

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I took some snow photos recently, it is amazing how much brighter it makes the scene look compared to when the snow is gone. Highly reflective properties that snow.

3. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

Do you guys have any issue with the fixtures in the snow? I know the heat from the bulb will just melt the snow away, but does that ever lead to any water in the fixture issues? It's been in the high 70s here lately, so I don't really have a frame of reference. :cool2:

By the way, the big tree looks really cool with all of the snow in the branches. Nice pics!

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice lighting effects look’s sharp.:drinkup:

6. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

What type of equipment(Camera, Lens, Tripod)are you using? Very nice photos even though they look like they were not taken at prime time.

Burt Wilson
    Accent Outdoor Lighting

7. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Thanks guys.

Burt,

These were taken with a Nikon D200 with a 17-55 mounted. The tripod is something I picked up on Ebay for under $100 from Amvona. I don't recall the exact model number. You're right about it not being taken during prime time. These were taken during the hour of 9-10pm. I had a lot that were underexposed for fear of them being blown out, but I also had a fair amount that came out pretty decent.

-LI

8. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I thought for sure you were going to say a Nikon D3. Showing off it's high ISO performance. D200 good camera and a good lense too.

Looks good!

Norm

9. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody's installing quite a number of fixtures to be able to afford camera gear like that. Just wait till everything greens up and you have a better window as the sun hangs around a little longer. I'm envious.

Burt Wilson
    Accent Outdoor Lighting

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Be forewarned - this comes from a life long, self admitted, camera geek.

Recently I put the finishing touches on a property that I have been working on for five years. The last two zones included the waterfront path and a lovingly restored 'heritage boathouse' circa 1910. I painstakingly lit the exterior of the boathouse, ensuring there was no glare, no over illumination and no light trespass.... all the while I had to completely hide the retrofit wiring and was not permitted to make any holes on the structure! (Heritage building renovation rules.)

The end result was magical. It really is stunning. People have stopped in their boats at night and called the clients at their home to positively comment on the property.

In any case, I wanted this job properly photographed. To capture it we would need to shoot from two private islands and perhaps from a boat on a calm night. The one pro photographer who was willing to come for a site visit quoted me a total cost of just over $4000 to do the shoot, post production and provide me with 8 to 10 archival quality 8x10 prints. $4K for one job!!!

Having a good deal of past amateur photography experience, I decided that I could do better, and heck this gave me the perfect excuse to go buy a really nice new rig. I did hours of research ( www.dpreview.com is a fantastic site ) and ended up buying a Canon EOS 20D (40D is now current and amazing) with the EFS 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS US
    lens, the EF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Lens, the EF 1.4xII extender, the Speedlite 430 EX Flash, a manfrotto tripod with swivel ball head, a manfrotto monopod with swivel ball head, and a pelican hard case to keep it all safe. Whew! Total bill was just over $5k.

Now I can take my own pro grade photos, do my own post production on photo shop and I don't have to worry about paying a pro to come out for those special jobs. My next dillema... finding the time and inclination to actually get back out there on those perfect evenings and do some shooting!

A long way to say that a great camera rig, and a few nights in an evening photography class (you need to understand composition well) can be a really good way to spend some of your "advertising and promotions budget".

Regards.