1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New pickup...which one?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mkwl, Aug 30, 2006.

New pickup...which one?

1. Chevy/GMC 2500HD Diesel (Duramax)

18 vote(s)
  2. CHevy/GMC 2500HD Gas

6 vote(s)
  3. Ford F250/350 Diesel (Powerstroke)

11 vote(s)
  4. Ford F250/350 Gas

6 vote(s)
  5. Dodge 2500 Diesel (Cummins)

8 vote(s)
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I've started my search for the perfect pickup truck, and wanted to see what you guys all recommend. I'm considering the Chevy 2500HD, GMC 2500HD, Ford F250/350, and Dodge 2500. I am thinking I want a diesel, since I want the power and better fuel milage compared to a gas engine. I would be getting a regular or extended cab with the long bed, but I don't want a crew cab or a short bed. What would you recommend...gas or diesel, and what brand. Also, is it better to buy certified used or new...is it really worth the $$$ for a new truck vs. a 2-4 year old certified truck? I have around $23,000 maximum to spend.

Thanks in advance,
  2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Well if you're want to by now take that $23K and put it in the bank becuase FORD is offering 0 DOWN & 0% FOR 72 MONTHS!! I would go new because of the great financing plus you will have a 5-6 year 60K mile warranty which is great. I would defanaitly go diesel because of how high gas is, more power, less problems, and overall they are a much better motor. Any way they will soon be offering bio-diesel wich will cost less then regular diesel but can still be run through a regular diesel motor with NO ajustments or accesories. Out of the trucks it really depends on what you like and which truck you think looks better because in the end they all last and run about the same.
  3. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't buy a diesel if you don't need it. Save the money.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You won't be buying a new diesel 2500 for $23,000, even in 2 wheel drive you're still a little short.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

You can get a new work truck 2500HD gas for that price though... Or go slightly used.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If your buying a 2-3 year old truck I think the better deal is always to go new, unless you can find a private owner selling for $15,000
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Um, diesel is more expensive than gas right now, at least here.

Ford does have the 0% for 72mo but you'd have to take delivery by september 5th. I took advantage of this offer and bought a new truck. But I only got the 5.4 in mine, because I'm not hauling around anything heavier than an open trailer with a couple mowers on it.

You could always put 20K down on something, have a low payment and pay it off quickly, banking the other 3K. But that's your decision, of course. Myself, I like the fact you can get a warranty with a new vehicle purchase. But then again, if the truck you're buying is not too old, it might have some factory warranty remaining if it's transferrable.

If you're hauling anything heavy, go for a diesel. Mileage is comparable to gas unloaded, but the gas mileage will drop much more when loaded.

Of course for 23K, you can get a pretty nice used 3/4-ton or 1-ton diesel with low miles.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

D-MAX if you can find one used in your price range!!!!
  10. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

^^^^ ditto, but if you cant find one in your price range, go with the Dodge