1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New plan for 2007...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Aug 6, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is my plan for making a killing in the spring for next year. You mow short in the spring threw mid summer. If you mow short the lawn looks like it needs mowed alot offed, so every 5 days you are cutting which will bring in more money. Also you wont have to double cut so pretty much you will be knocking out yards quicker which lead to more money Do you think this is a smart idea?
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

From experience...no. Short grass in the spring is yellow. Your clients will notice!
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

better stock up on a lot of week control
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I think you will find that the opposite is true. Cut higher and the grass will stay thicker/greener and the customer will want it cut again sooner, especially if they walk across the lawn often.
  5. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

I Think Grass Cut Shot Looks Really Bad, Longer The Better The Lawn Will Look A Lot More Full And Lush. I Don't Cut Any Of My Property's Under 3 3/4, But Thats Me!
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

same here right up until Fall Cleanups begin...then we lower the decks to make blowing leaves easier.
  7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

my thoughts exactlly not to mention your plan sounds shadey, just do quality work for people,its really easy.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Same here also but i have a few that go with a three inch cut,it's hard in the spring we are cutting a lot.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

That's not a very good plan. Cutting higher will yeild a healthier lawn, it will shade more weeds out, the grass will be healthier because theres less shock on the grass because your not taking too much of the blade off (Most of the time, the turf grows so much that I'd be cutting way more then 1/3 of the blade in a 7 day span if I cut lower). If you do your plan, you'll be like my neighbors, each neighbor next to me feels they have to cut their lawns at 2" well one is completely burned out bluegrass (used to be a great yard), the other is all weeds which I guess they're happy because it's somewhat green due to the weeds. Then theres my yard in the middle, still dark green and lush sitting at 3.75"
  10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

i use the recommended atleast all season when the grass slows down in growing i raise the blades and no one ever calls up to switch to every other week because it appears that there grass is still growing but its just cut longer

not doing any harm to the lawns at all just making sure i get paid more