New policy for free estimates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jun 9, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just raised the rate for customers who require that we drive to their home and give them a free estimate for shrub trimming and clean-ups.

The labor rate has been $36/man-hour for the last two years. As of this morning, the new policy is $40 per man-hour, but we will discount the labor rate to $36/man-hour if the customer does not require a free on-sight estimate or if they e-mail photos and we do the estimate from that.

Here is a link to the new policy:

I think it works much better than saying we charge an extra $4/man-hour if you require a free on-sight estimate, don't you?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is worded great. It is nice when you get to a size when you can dictate how you do business, rather than kissing the customers azz.

We also don't offer on-site estimates. Tuesday, I caved on one...guess it was b/c I was bored. Well, after a 20 minute drive I sold a job for pruning five (yes, just five) boxwoods, and laying .5 yards of mulch. I was fuming! :angry:
  3. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.

In my opinion, it is always better to offer customers a reward for good behavior than a punishment for bad. Yeah, in the end it is the same thing, but I like the discount for not requesting an estimate better. Psychologically, it just sounds better.