New Poll: What's Your Minimum Charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Oct 9, 2006.

What's Your Minimum Charge?

1. No minimum charge

7 vote(s)
  2. $29 or less

36 vote(s)
  3. $30-39

61 vote(s)
  4. $40-49

10 vote(s)
  5. $50 or more

7 vote(s)
  1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Many service companies have a minimum service charge, i.e. if you call a heating/air company they may charge $50 to send a tech out. Where is the lawn/landscape industry fit in regarding minimum service charges? Please share your minimum charge and the reasons you chose that minimum.

I charge $30 minimum for grass and I will probably raise that next season to $35, because I want to weed out cheap skates and really small stuff. For existing customers I don't usually charge less than $25 for other-than-mowing work that can be done on the route, just because it seems like a fair price, no other reason really. Off-route work for existing customers is charged accordingly at my normal hourly rates, but not less than $55 to account for travel/etc. for making a special trip. For REALLY small stuff while mowing I usually don't charge, extras that take less than 5 minutes are just good service.
  2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Next season it will be $30, no less for a complete lawn maintenance. I only have one $25 lawn this season but it only takes 20 - 25 min. plus i do all the other stuff, pruning, trimming, cleanups for this client.
    i won't do any landscape job under $20 unless it is fast, easy and next too a regular client. For example another one of my client neighbors has a small sidewalk hedge that i trim when needed. After i cut my clients lawn i just walk across the street and give the hedge a wack for $20 and it only takes 12min. Why turn down fast easy work when it can lead to better work.
  3. LawnBrother

from SW Ohio

4. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

in your poll, are you asking minimum charge PER CUT, or per month service fee?

if your sayin you dont go below $30 per cut that means in summer time you are cutting 4x$30=120?

How big are the lawns you guys do up there? its rare I can get more than $25 per cut with most people down here and that is if I am basically doing the whole deal...
    On the plus side, most people down here live in "cookie-cutter" houses/properties, less than a quarter acre.

Also do you offer monthly service agreements? Or stay on strictly per service basis? I tend to sign everyone I possibly can to a 1-yr service agreement so I know they arent just hiring me for the summer and blowing me off in winter where I actually make money
  5. LawnBrother

from SW Ohio

Basically the poll is centered around mowing and closely related services. In my case most of my props are small and up to a couple acres. I realize that evryone services different size properties, and that's one of the reasons I asked for posters to explain the specific reasons they chose their minimum price. This poll is designed to get a general idea of what people are "dropping the gate" for, and you can draw your own conclusions from it. I guess you could say it is a "per visit" or "per job" minimum price.
  6. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I go down to $20/cut, or $80/month, for small lawns. Tough market here.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

$35/week minimum here. most lawns are .5 to .8 Acres of actual turf around here. The minimum comes into play only in developments with small yards typically. Love those small ones, they really make the dough pile up.
  8. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

Some of these small lawns down here I only charge 15 per cut or $60 per month, but when I go down like that I have 2 or 3 right next to one another.

But for the most part its $80 per month just for mow blow and go.
  9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

$20. That being said, I have 9 lawns in a row and the total comes to $204. Done in 2 hours.
  10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member