New pond build

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by GuNka, Apr 11, 2008.

1. GuNka

GuNka LawnSite Member
    from uk

Hi, I am currently in the process of digging out my new pond

I would like to have koi carp so water quality is a big factor.
    The size will be 12' x 7' and approx 6' deep in the middle.
    The old greenhouse has gone so I have decided to use the space because it saved on the digging a bit and removing the old bricks. The pond will be raised slightly above the garden level 10"-16"
    I was going to use a pvc liner as I am on a budget with this project. But after reading up a bit I am now going to use a butyl rubber liner.

I will be installing a pump and filter system that suits the size of the pond.
    Need some advice on the pump & filter system.

After further reading I decided to add a bottom drain. This is where I am not sure about the best way of piping out the water?

A waterfall of some type will also be installed.
    Is there a way to design the waterfall to assist in the cleaning of the water?
    ie. gravel or reed bed etc.

I will post up pictures as I progress with this project

If anyone can give me any tips I will be grateful

[​IMG]

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

GuNka
    Bottom drains are a must with Koi ponds in my opinion. also make the pond a nice place to sit, measure the height from the ground to the seat of your favorite chair and make the wall that height

Bottoms drains need to go to vortex settlement chambers (ST), the ST needs to have an exit valve on the bottom, use it to water your garden

There are some fanatic koi guys in england, they really do it right. a lot of the UK ponders I have seen fiberglass the walls of the pond instead of using rubber. There is another great resource koiphen.com, some pretty serious koi builders

I know these guys are in the US but look at the products they have to get an idea of how to set it up http://www.wlimcorp.com/

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

GuNka, you need to read this thread I attatched if you are doing a koi pond. I am good at decorative ponds, but my knowledge of filtration for koi ponds is lacking. Victor seems to know a whole heck of a lot about the mechanics of the filtration systems necessary for koi. Here it is.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=75426

4. GuNka

GuNka LawnSite Member
    from uk

Hey read the info :cool2:

Well as I said I am on a budget so cheap is the only way.

My idea is a top pond that is full of reeds:) to let mother nature do her work and thats it.
    A pump will carry the main ponds water into the top pond.
    Please tell me if my idea will be a flop :hammerhead:

5. roknh20

roknh20 LawnSite Member

GuNka,
    The bog filter may work it really depends on your fish load. My husband has a video on our website that show our koi facility and talks alittle about how many gallons, how the water is filtered. You should check it out. Our koi facility has hundreds of Koi. We have a filter called the pon jon and we just upgraded a few of our ponds to that. He has a video on that also.
    Good luck. Here in Oklahoma I have 25 year old 15-20 lb Koi that winter over in my ponds that are 2.5 feet deep and no deeper.
    Good Luck a Koi pond is a bit trickier than an eco pond.

6. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, what is your website?

7. GuNka

GuNka LawnSite Member
    from uk

8. roknh20

roknh20 LawnSite Member

So sorry guys, I thought I did that. The video I was talking about is under the Koi catagory. Our website is www.itsparadiseathome.com. I'll try to send some pics of our renovations. Our store is open today and the sun is shining, looks like a beautiful busy day.
    Enjoy the videos!
    JP

9. Venturewest

I am a little bit familiar with your store and products. Welcome to the forum. If I ever get to the Tulsa area I will definitely stop by. You have some pond components I would like to try. Do you have contractor or wholesale pricing?

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the forum. On my next post I will post a photo of an upflow bog filter I just built for a pond. It is going to have some fish but just a normal load. Not a true Koi pond, but you could adapt the basic design.

10. Venturewest