New Pond / Waterfall Photos

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JimLewis, Aug 27, 2009.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It's always fun to share photos when you just finished a project. Here's one we just finished today....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimLewis

It's hard to imagine. But that whole area was pretty much just level and all lawn all the way to the fence before. We installed the flagstone patio, water feature, and all the plants.

It's about 3.5 deep in the middle and there are little coves down there at the 3' depth mark for fish to hide in. No fish yet. And the water wasn't clear yet when I took the photos either. But if you could see down to the bottom you'd see some neat hidden fish coves down there. We got predators like Blue Heron and Racoons around here that will eat fish if you don't give them a place to hide.

3. very nice job, thanks for the pics.

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be critical, but the joints on the patio leave a lot to be desired. I would have liked to have seen tighter joints and more uniform joints. some are large gaps and some are tight in these pics.

5. JimLewis

I hear you. And I agree. But that's just common around here. There are two basic kinds of flagstone patios that are built around this area. You can either get an inexpensive flagstone patio built by a landscaper - not as tight joints; No cuts made; just installed fairly quick and cheap. Or you can get one done by a stone mason. Then each flagstone will be custom cut, super tight joints, laid on a bed of mortar and mortared in joints. The former will cost a homeowner maybe $10-$15 / sq. ft. The latter will cost a homeowner $40-$50 per sq. ft. So 95% of the people around here just opt. for an inexpensive one done by a landscaper. Most people don't want to pay the price to get it done really nice.

I'd be happy to take more time and do the flagstone patios with much tighter joints. Just nobody around here wants to spend that kind of money on them.

That stems from the fact that we don't really get to spend much time outdoors here in OR, compared to many other parts of the country.

Plus, it depends on the purpose. These people already have 2 HUGE decks in their yard. So they're not going to be spending any time on the small flagstone patio we made. It's mostly just for looks. Anyway, that's about your typical flagstone patio around these parts.

6. gogreenmaureen

gogreenmaureen LawnSite Member

I really like the patio. It gives a more naturalistic look and feel next to the pond. Tight fits and mortar look nice in a more formal setting. And like you said costs more. One question though did you use a base under the stone?

7. JimLewis

Of course. We always install about a 4" base of gravel, compacted with a plate compactor. Then the flagstone goes in, and then we fill the joints with Gator Dust.

8. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Looks nice Jim! Did you leave enough in the budget for some lighting? :)

Keith

9. JimLewis

Well, it wasn't me who was setting the budget. But no... there wasn't enough to do lighting.

There is going to be lighting. He was just going to do it himself. Unfortunately, we know how that will probably turn out. But anyway, that's how he wanted it.

10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good Jim. I like the concave columnar basalt pieces you tied into the edges of the patio. Great little bird baths.