New Pondless....It's been a long time.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Venturewest, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

It has been a few years since I have posted any projects on here, but I am starting a good size pond free waterfall at my own home. Here is the initial landscape plan.

I am using rock that I have never used before so I am a little nervous. I am going to terrace some of the landscape with about 10 tons of river boulders. I plan on using a charcoal colored mountain granite in the water feature, fire pit, and also landscape accents. I have always used really nice moss boulders, that lend themselves to water features, but this is a challenge I have always wanted to try.

Let me know what you think.

Feature will be about 35' long with a 10' liner. I have about 6' of vertical drop in that distance.

Mountain Granite Boulders.jpg

River Boulders Addi.jpg

Landscape Design B and W2.jpg

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

No replies in 3 months? This forum is a ghost town!

Did you ever start it? Any updated photos?

Looks like a nice plan. Is that your daughter? Absolutely adorable! Reminds me of my youngest daughter. She's about the same age and a Blondie too. She's the light of my life.

Looks like you've drawn it out with nice separation between the rocks, nice bends and turns. Some areas where there is no rock going down to the edge of the stream. That's all perfect. We did one sort of similar to that.

Play around with the width too. That's one thing we learned in Rick Bartel's book: The RISE Method. If you don't have that book, get it! I wish I had read that book before I did the water feature at my house. Mine looks nice. But it would have turned out TWICE as nice if I had read that book first.

3. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Very nice Jim, really like the split at the bottom. Dont see those too often.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Venturewest

Here is an update of the almost completed waterfall project. I still need to finish up the detail work such as hiding the liner, and detailing the edges.

You can see some metal mesh on one of the tiers of the waterfall. We have a couple little koi in a small pool that holds water when the pump is turned off. An aerator runs when the main pump is off. The mesh keeps the koi from swimming down the falls.

5. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is the Link?

6. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Come on Venture, your killing us! Need the video link

7. Venturewest

Sorry guys, I could not get the video to upload without errors. I will add more pics of the finished product and the process sometime.
    Thanks for your patience.

It was interesting using the more angular granite boulders. It was a challenge, but I feel that it came out alright. There are some beautiful rocks.[/ATTACH]

image.jpg

photo.jpg

8. Venturewest

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NJ

Looks great! Nice work. I bet your daughter loves it.

10. Venturewest

Thanks! My girls love it. They play on it all the time, and love to see the koi. We had a visiting pair of garter snakes that ate about 20 small goldfish over a period of weeks. (They were relocated finally)