New price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josh18, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

Today, I got a letter from one of my customers asking if I would push mow her yard. This is a yard that I usually use a 48" on and I still beleive I should have quoted the yard higher. SO, do I push it to keep the account, or do I tell her it will cost more and risk losing the account? This is my first year and I only have 11 accounts because of college so one out of the eleven is a big part of my income.
  2. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like it will be a big part of your week if you have to push mow. If you don't think your making the money you need to now, you'll be making less for your time if your using a 21". If you feel you need to keep it, you should at least try to get more money. All she can say is "no".
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

tell her the price significantly goes up if you use a 21"
  4. Your time is $$$$$. The more time it takes the more $$ it cost them. You had better gat that mentality now or you will be compromising more and more. Don't get into that habit.
  5. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do ANYONE with a push mower!!! Impossible to make money, in my situation (and probably any situation). I would tell her at least DOUBLE the price to push mow it. THat might shut her up. DON'T CAVE ON PRICE. You cave once, she'll think you will cave everytime! If she quits you, do what we all do, GO FIND ANOTHER CLIENT to fill her spot at a higher price!

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if you cant afford to lose the yard,,,,,well then,,,,you cant aford to lose the yard!

keep the yard till you have it replaced with somebody else!

then you can go up to her and say "maam i am going to have to replace your lawn with another lawn because ,,,,,bla bla bla"
  7. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

Yea, I don't use the push mower on anyone elses yard either. She said it didnt look good when I cut it with the other mower, but I have never had a complaint from anyone else, only compliments. I don't know what her deal is. I mean I have been cutting it the same way since April and now she complains. I guess this is my first encounter with difficult customers.
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget that with a push mower you are also going to work ALOT harder!! And for what reason. . .because somebody thinks that for a few bucks you are supposed to slave on her yard all day??

As a fellow college student (a 4.0 student that is. . .), my advice to you is that your time will be better spent studying or doing someone else's yard on which you can use your 48" (less physically demanding and more productive).
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

She may just be thinking that you are not working hard enough for your money. This happens with some customers when you show up with commercial equipment. Definitely tell her the price will be substantially higher with a push mower. When I've had customers ask similar questions, I've just said NO, we do it the way we do it. After a few years in business, you build up a hard shell!
  10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similiar situation last season. Customer said she wasn't sure if she liked me using my 48 wb. I told her it would cut nice, and that she should give it a go becuase I would have to charge more to cut with the 21. I cut it for a couple weeks, no problems. Then her husband comes out and says I missed half the back yard. I'm like, huh? I go back with him, and he say you cut in this direction, but not the other. I told him that the mower leaves stripes in the yard as it mows, and that is what he was seeing. He didn't believe me. He actually thought I was turning off the blades every other pass. He wanted me to go to using the 21, I said the price to cut with the 21 would be $40 (was charging $25). I didn't cut them anymore, and I didn't lose any sleep over it. There are alot of potential customers out there, the gap will fill quickly if you try hard enough.