1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Product

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 22, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am going to offer up a new product and see if there are any takers. The shrub crew has more work than they can do in March & April and by August they have nothing. Maybe this will help keep them busy more of the time.

If no one signs up, I am only out the time it took me to create the web page.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

right after (After the Estimate) you put pants instead of plants... BTW nice site real clean.
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Thanks for pointing that out. It is fixed now.

DFW Area Landscaper
  4. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get me wrong I like your web-site. It looks real nice and is well laid out. I think you have way to much info though. After reading everything about each service I am left with this feeling, like you've had a lot of problems with your customers. I'm sure most of your customers are very happy with your service. Why not put down some customers comments on how nice it is to come home to a nicely maintained landscape instead of all your policies. Your policies should be given to customers not prospective customers.
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

It is for existing clients as well as prospects. When we e-mail the statements each month, we can briefly describe a product, like Lawn Weed Control, and include a link to that page.

As for new prospects, I would rather have them enroll with the correct expectations. In this business, there is as much explaining the service as there is selling it. Customers don't know what a standard mow & blow should include. How often do we mow? Basic questions like that. It varies with every lawn company. Many call back after they sign up to ask if we will be line trimming when we service their property for a standard mow!

I love it when customers call and say they have seen our website and they want to sign up or get a price. When that happens, I have a lot less explaining to do.

Typically, when a customer calls for a price to mow the lawn, the call can easily eat 10 minutes out of my day. If we start talking about weed control services, there goes another 8 minutes. I am trying everything I can think of to shorten the time I spend on the phone with a new prospect.

If they are truly interested in a product, I don't think there is too much information on the website.

Maybe there are just too many products and that is where the site is overwhelming. I dunno. I do appreciate all feedback, though.

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's gonna be a hard sell without any meetings prior to the install. Your before and after pics aren't the best. They are taken from to far away. I don't think from those pics anyone is gonna say wow what a difference.
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. I am not too worried about it.

DFW Area Landscaper
  8. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think what he is saying is just change the "after" picture. It looks bad - muddy sidewalks, muddy grass etc. Take a pic of it cleaned-up/washed down/lawn cut.

Your profit margin appears pretty thin to me. If you're comfortable making that little on installs, you should just hit up the production builders - they have plenty of volume, with no margin. They'll even let you maintain the installs for $20 a pop.
  9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I looked through the website and at first, I was kinda like "geez, this guy is kind of a jerk" but as I read through the site I was left with the feeling that at least I know what the company does and does not offer and leaves little room for clients to wiggle. I still think the site is a little on the brazen side but it certainly takes care of those customers that think just because they are paying for mowing they should automatically get leaf removal for the same price as well as dealing with other potential problems/assumptions that clients tend to make.

We learn as we go and it should be interesting to see if this approach resolves issues for you.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I gotta agree with dkeisala here...

The wording on your site in general has a rude or brazen tone to it. The message I get from the site is, "Here's the way we do stuff. If you don't like it, buzz off" Or maybe, "We've up'd our prices, now Up Yours!"

On the subject of the "design" you speak of, I just don't get it. That kind of idea would never fly around here. Most customers I run into want a detailed custom made, to-scale, landscape design. Not just some list of plants. And those that don't need a full scale design, still want me to show up at their house, show them some plant pictures, make some suggestions, get them excited about why certain plants and trees would look good in certain areas, etc. before they will hire us to do a plant install for them. I can't imagine any of my customers just paying me $40 - in advance, no less - for something that really doesn't give them a very good idea of what their landscape is going to look like.

Consider this in another industry. What if you wanted to hire a professional painting contractor to paint the interior of your house. But instead of coming over with a swatch of colors and photos, he says you need to pay him $100 in advance, chose from 10 set colors he has had good experience with, and he'll tell you what color to put in each room of the house. Would you hire that guy? I know I wouldn't. I want personal service. I want the guy who comes over and listens to what I want to do, gets me excited about certain color schemes, gives me hundreds of choises, is willing to customize things to my tastes, etc.

I guess I am just different. I always try to keep the focus on what the customer wants. I am all about making their dreams a reality.

Best of luck. But to me, that would be a big turn-off to your company if I was a customer reading that.