New professional looking for advice... (Indiana)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by richter24, Oct 13, 2007.

1. richter24

richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just began starting my own business and plan to have it in full affect by the spring time. (I have realistic goals) The first thing I did was buy two used riders and taught myself how to re-build them. engine and rider. Took about 3 months. of course i sold them for profit when I was finished. I am 100% committed to this business and will not "settle". I plan to grow my business over the years. I have my name, logo, and t-shirts designed, and thats about where I am today. I am looking to find out where I can get my logo and company name licensed, copywrited, and insured. Courthouse??

here are my statistics thus far.
    Toro 17.5 hp rider wheel horse
    Briggs & Stratton push mower
    Gas Leaf blower
    Gas weed eater
    Rake, Broom, etc....

Thanks for the advise
  2. Crusis

Crusis LawnSite Member

Your county courthouse, the Recorders office.
  3. M&R Specialty Lawns

M&R Specialty Lawns LawnSite Member

What part of the state are you in and what is your business name? Just curious b/c I am in the same boat as you but not as far into it yet. I am in the beginning states of coming up with a business plan for the future....What services do you think you will provide? I am not sure if I want to stick to a certain service or if it would be more beneficial to broaden the to speak! Any advice as to how you are looking to start out as would be greatly appreciated...

Best of luck to you in your endeavors
  4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

What are your "realistic goals?"

What sort of property are you going for?
  5. richter24

from Indiana

Thanks Crusis!! Love the web-page, so did my wife. I'll head over there this week.
    My goals are simple. Start small and build gradually. This time of season I will work on winter jobs to get my name out there, and purchase the necessary equipment I will need to be ready for the Spring/Summer time.
  6. richter24

from Indiana

Another Q&A:

Are there any books, cd's, web-sites, classes, etc...where I can gain more knowledge of the business as far as lawn fertilization, aeration, and so on. I know the basics, but I'm sure there is much more to learn. Thanks!!
  7. Crusis

Crusis LawnSite Member

Richter, in Indiana you can't apply Chemicals without a license. There is a class at Purdue in Lafayette, it's $250 and once you're done you take a test that will get you that license.

I posted everything I know about setting up in Indiana in this post:

I hope it helps.
  8. rogero

rogero LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Where Abouts In Indiana ?
  9. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

:waving: Crusis,
    How's it been going in your new business? I haven't seen you on for a while.