New Project - DIY

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by volito, May 3, 2011.

1. volito

volito LawnSite Member
    from PA,NY

I understand this is a touchy subject for a lot of people "do to the fact it's a means for making a living". I am a lifetime DIY at an early age of 45. I been this way all my life and learned many things along the way etc "Fix computers, make web-pages, train dogs, entertainment centres" to list a few. I also belong to a few forums and contribute whenever I can.

This is what brings me to this forum as I been reading on outdoor lighting. I am about to set up a system for my home and figured I post what I am doing and maybe get some ideas or criticism about my project. I believe I got enough knowledge to go ahead and come out with a nice system. I understand a lot of people don't like to give there knowledge and I FULLY respect that! I just figured I give it a go!

Any way I am just going to tackle the front of the house because rear is another whole project in the future....

I was thinking of doing three zones to keep voltage problems to a minimum.

zone one I'll call front of house- was thinking off putting 5 well lights not 100% sure specific placement yet" point up at walls..

two spot lights pointing up at the the "circle" points to detail the roof architect a bit"

Ill leave it at this for know to see if I am heading in right direction and I need more pics.....

1.jpg

2. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Illuminate all that beautiful forest area. Looking at your picture you would see the entire outline of your residence with the top parts of the forest lit. It would also provide some lluimination in your back yard. Kill to birds with one stone.Ensure to use different beam spreads and wattages to create some contrast and depth.
    Light the front door and provide some light along your path to lead your guests safely to the front entrance too.
    Just my 2 cents.

Ken

3. drewguy

drewguy LawnSite Member
    from D.C.

I personally prefer lights on the landscape to the house, and you have some nice plantings to work with -- the weeping cherry (?) to the left, the ornamental grass in the middle, and the whole area on the front right that could create nice views from inside the house.

4. volito

volito LawnSite Member
    from PA,NY

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the quick replies. Interesting on the background trees. House is located in a four season location so haven't thought that far yet as they are still doormant shrubs and trees. There is also a big bed to the left and anice med tree in front but have to get more pics. I guess as ling as I keep debt and it would look fine correct.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. volito

volito LawnSite Member
    from PA,NY

Posted via Mobile Device

6. volito

volito LawnSite Member
    from PA,NY

some more pics still need pic off other side and tree on right ...

1A.jpg

2.jpg

7. volito

volito LawnSite Member
    from PA,NY

ok I decided to break into the business and use my house as a example. Been on this forum for a while reading many many post and learning my way around and picking up good tips. Going to purchase different fixtures and lamps and get some hands on with the above house "nice big project to experiment with :)"

The technical part is pretty much downs as a DIY been into many fields... Of course studying every day to learn more on lighting.

Thanks for any advice that was given - awesome sight

This house I purchased is in an area where landscaping lighting is a must and from the looks of it seems nobody is getting professional help :0 so I figure I learn and see what happens.

8. benjammin

benjammin LawnSite Senior Member

Are the existing path lights just crappy solar ones?
    House and landscaping looks good and should be a fun project making it look great.

9. volito

volito LawnSite Member
    from PA,NY

Yes solar one came with house. Ya nice project still researching and studying. Also looki g where to get supplies. A lot of landscaping biy in photos yet and huge yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. volito

volito LawnSite Member
    from PA,NY

I know a lot said stay away from big chain stores and I agree! there landscaping ligjts are horrible. On the other hand just noticed they carry a company called Hinkley thoughts "decent. Crappy. Good"? " think I seen it mentioned somewhere in the 100's of threads"
    Bit pricey and up there with companies recommended and used by members here.

Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device