1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Project

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TPnTX, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay here is one Im real excited about. I'm doing the entire landscape but I must admit, Im can't wait to get to the lights

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, there are some fantastic downlighting opportunities in those oaks. Looks like fun.

3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I wouldn't up light any trees (me personally). All that brick is awesome!

Like Tim said, downlighting op's when you are finished with the scapes. Mount behind the trees. Throw in a white bench with potted flowers, etc.

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

TPnTX,
    That house looks like a nice project for both scapin and lighting. Its fricken snowing here again maybe I should come down and lend you a hand. :) Like Joey mentioned on another thread this is a prime example of grazing that beautiful brick and stone house first then working your way out into the landscape and trees. Would love to see what you have in mind for this place. Any water features going in? When are you starting?
    Keep us updated with pictures plz. Good Luck!

Keith

5. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yes I agree some nice down lighting on that driveway would be awesome would'nt it?
    And ok throw that bench and flowers in for Mike!

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

What an awesome canvas!

See all those steep pitched Gable ends? What a great opportunity to subtley and effectively down light from each and every one. The stone walls will pop out given their texture and the shadows that each will throw.

Is that a trellis located under the twin dormers? Lots of opportunity there.

Can you get some ingrade shielded uplights located in the main entry area?

Don't forget to ask if they 'want fries with that?" I see a couple of coach lights that probably could do with an upgrade.

Moonlighting the driveway is a no-brainer... great spacings there... do it sporatically and make the eye travel from pool of light to pool of light. Mix up your directional orientations to play depth games with the eye.

Do the extra work involved in downlighting the house from the Fascia of the gable ends... don't wimp out and simply uplight the house from the ground!:)

Need any help? It was -22c for a high here today, nearly froze solid through working on the interior system of a big log home. I think I am going to move to St. Lucia. :laugh:

7. TPnTX

wow you guys are great and the ideas are terrific. I can't wait.

I've know this family for a while. They live around the corner. I met them back in 2001 when I building my house. They just recently finished theirs. So the other day I sent out an email to every single person on my contact list about outdoor lighting. David was the 1st on to reply. He just so happened to be ready to landscape. I know him well enough coordinate a budget with him.

His words..."I want the wow factor" now he was talking about landscape but I think it will be just as easy to wow him with lighting.

8. TPnTX

oh other questions.

He's ready to start asap. I'm going to sub out the irrigation. He only has 45PSI and I'll let someone else deal with that.

I'll have to look at the porch area closer and see how much access I have. Ill take some more pics too.

I don't think you could call it a trellis. What you may be seeing in the center is a scrawny oak that was left. I already told him it has to go. I'm thinking a huge Natchez Crape will go there. I mentioned that and he told me he loves crapes. So do I and they are great for this area. Even when they defoliate the branch and trunk structure is awesome. I don't but crapes from just anywhere. I buy from east texas and they are brought in from Forest Hills LA.

I will definitely consider lighting from the Fascia. You know that will spawn a lot of question right?

As far as what where when. I just met with him Saturday. I'm going to start with bed layout and design. I want to do formal elevated the beds using the lueders stone which is on the house. He has already had some stone work done subsequent to the house. He probably will have that guy doing it. Thats okay The more he saves there the more he can afford for lighting.

9. TPnTX

remember on another thread me asking about the flood lights. The are everywhere. If I could only convince a few builders that there are better options.

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Ah well, think of those flood lights as opportunities! You certainly will have no issue pulling power out into that landscaple. Some nice Red Dot J-Box covers in bronze from home depot and they will disappear.

Enjoy.