New purchase

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by I_am_a_beginner, Sep 24, 2011.

1. I_am_a_beginner

I_am_a_beginner LawnSite Member

I am new to fertilization and I am looking for the best starter kit. I have to buy a pickup and a sprayer. I am going to do fert+pest and herbicide control.

- I would like the smallest pickup possible.

- I would like a pickup that doesn't eat to much gas.

- I heard chevy (colorado/silverado) were rusting alot.

- What about the sprayer size?

- I was looking at a Ford Ranger or a Toyota Tacoma with suspension reinforcements, is it going to run well with that weight in the box?

If you had to start all over again with your business, what would you do?

OR

If you had some hints, what would they be?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cannot be done. A hundred gallons of water weighs 830 pounds, 200 gallons about 1660 add 500 pounds for the sprayer and you need a 3/4 ton truck. Get used to 12 miles per gallon.

You can save a lot of traveling, gas and time by marketing only in your own neighborhood. Say within 10 miles of you home. Mail repeatedly to your zip code. Pass out flyers by hand, door to door. Knock on doors all winter or whenever you are not busy in the summer. Remember the time period when you get the most calls will be about from the week before the first mowing (greenup) until about 6 weeks later. Hand out coupons from local (non-competeing) businesses--if they will do the same for you. Intense marketing close-in will save a lot of gas. You have to reject business outside your service area, sad but true.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Buy the largest truck you can!

4. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 1 ton flatbed with a 400 gallon tank and two 100 gallon mixing tanks. You'll be glad you did.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Beginner

My grocery getter is a 4 cylinder Step Side Ranger with the super small bed. At 27 MPG I will run some spot weed control out of it with a 25 gallon 12V tank that pushes a 300 ft hand crank hose reel. But My Cab Over which is a ton and half truck is the work horse. As Riggle said get used to 12 MPG.

6. I_am_a_beginner

Ok for the 12 mpg but which truck would be interesting for my needs?
    colorado? silverado? f-150? dodge ram? ford transit?

7. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I thought pesticides were BANNED in Canada?

8. I_am_a_beginner

Well a very restrictive list of pesticides can be still used. They are the deltaguard and the vanquish. You have to pass 2 exams, a general one and a specific one.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Beginner

My ideal Truck might not be your Ideal Truck. As a Flat Lander To me a Light Duty 3/4 ton with the 6 cylinder gas saver engine would be my perfect Grocery Getter and second spray truck. I actually have 3 trucks as a one man band. The Cab over is for Lawn and shrubs. A 3/4 ton pick up with a 300 gallon skid sprayer and my Ranger. MPG is 12, 14 and 27. Insurance and maintenance is a PITA but as a One man band I justify having the 3/4 ton truck for spray Fire Ants and Canadian Tourist which are both huge pests here in Florida.

BTW I believe the GMC 4.3 is one of the best engines ever made.

10. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

That is friggin hilarious!