New Rain Bird R-VANs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Dec 5, 2012.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't think I've seen any mention of the new Rain Bird rotary nozzle, the R-VAN.

Haven't seen any in person yet, have you?

http://rainbird.com/landscape/products/sprayNozzles/R-VAN.htm

[​IMG]

Four Models:

R-VAN1318

• Black Rotary Deflector
    • 13’ to 18’ (4,0 to 5,5m) radius
    • 45º to 270º arc

R-VAN1724

• Yellow Rotary Deflector
    • 17’ to 24’ (5,2 to 7,3m) radius
    • 45º to 270º arc

2. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Unless the nozzle has a pressure regulator (which it does not) they are still crap.

PS- You can adjust the MP Rotators by hand.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting, after Nelson in Walla Walla invented the MP, how many companies jumped on the band wagon, with minor changes to avoid patent infringement. I'd still be installing the original, though, what, Hunter owns the patent now? :dizzy:

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I was short on time so to expand on this:

The RB multi stream is greatly effected by small variations in pressure, which causes it to defeat the purpose of a multi stream nozzle. The purpose is to deliver large drops of water in a controlled manner so it will be effected less by wind. A 10 psi difference will cause the nozzle to boat tail, or in low pressure not even pop up. Also multi streams were supposed to be used to deliver water slowly, but the precip rate is high on the RB.

Like I said, JUNK. I have been trying to find a serious competitor to the Hunter MP but it has not come out yet. I would like to see the Toro multi's in action, I cannot speak to those yet.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

points to Rainbird for making the longer-radius version work at a 45 degree arc

let's see if Hunter responds

6. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe i just have bad memories from the last RB rotary nozzle but just the appearance of the new one fails it. Substitute to the MP? K Rain's new rotary nozzle?

After today maybe I should change my user name mud_boots and use a pic of an elf for my profile pic.:rolleyes:

7. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I tried some of the Toro rotary nozzles on a small retrofit and had high hopes. They're hard to adjust an its hard to set the left stop since there is one stream that comes around and throws out the side further than the others. Ill stick to mps

8. irrig8r

Of course, they recommend using the R-VAN with a PRS-45 body.

But I have seen the RBRs spin ridiculously fast at high pressure. I have the RBRs in my front yard (rectangle, southern exposure) and MP Rotators in the back (shadier, north side of the house).

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The MPRotator is not pressure regulated at the nozzle. If you want pressure regulation then use a PRS body, so I am uncertain as to the relevance of the pressure comments.

10. irrig8r

MP rotation speed seems unrelated to pressure. RBRs spin faster at higher pressures, distorting the pattern.