1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New RBird ASVF valves messing up.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jul 21, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We installed a 5 zone system with 43 psi using RBird 1" ASVF valves. The real Rbird by the way.

Now there are two of the valves that will not seal and shut off properly. I have taken them apart and looked for crap in the valve. Blew through the solenoid orifice hole. Still leaking.

Any ideas or should I just change out the guts of the valve and move on. Warranty work ya kno.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, change the guts, if you haven't swapped diaphragms already. By the way, you may have better luck with Irritrol ASVs, being that they're Richdel designs.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Are we sure it's not gravity-draining & not the valve?
  4. Wet_Boots

You can also get some water escaping from the vacuum breaker when a zone shuts off, with today's spring-loaded heads. Strictly normal.
  5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

What is it about some of you guys around here that like the old Richdel A/S valves? Around here they're considered DIY crap. I hate the jar tops with a vengeance. That white nylon flow control screw was the stupidest idea they ever had. (Since changed, I know, but there are a lot of those cursed valves in the field still.)

I like the beefy design and performance of the RB ASVFs. Sometimes they're noisy, especially when new. The main thing I don't like about them is the self-tapping screws.

I prefer the maintenance simplicity (especially the captured screws) of the Hunter ASV for someone with a lower budget.

The regular professional A/S install setup around here for years was a Hydro Rain/ Hardie actuator on a Champion or Lawnlife brass body w/ union.

But for a higher end customer who wants above ground valves we still sometimes go Champion body and Superior brass actuator. (Also for retrofitting old manual valves like Gee.)

The old Lawn Genie/ Richdel/ Rainjet valves are a pain to service. If they are leaking/ seeping I replace them. They are also the ones I most often find installed badly, like 3 jobs this season cleaning up after gardeners and homeowners who thought they knew what they were doing, but had A/S valves below grade in boxes.
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not all Richdel/Irritrol ASV's are Jartop. They are used almost exclusively around these parts for ASV's.

I also despise jartop anything. Beyond that personal dislike, I have seen very few problems with them that can't be easily and cheaply fixed. Generally speaking they give dependable service for many years.
  7. Wet_Boots

There are two Richdel ASV designs. I preferred the older one, not the jar-top design. After Richdel was bought out, Hardie screwed up some aspects of the Richdel valves, and when Toro took over the line, they didn't even try to rework the original ASV design, but came up with a look-a-like that uses the newer diaphragm of the 2400. That's the one I'd recommend, and not the jar-top. (Irritrol 2711APR and 2713APR ~ the globe valve rework is the Irritrol 2500)

Richdel deserves their props for having had the only ASV that wasn't an adapter threaded into a ASV body, and they can still be repaired and working like new, over twenty years after they were installed. They weren't perfect, but callbacks were rare. The bonnets of the Hardie-made ASVs, I have less faith in.

That the Richdel/Irritrol ASVs have lower pressure losses than Rainbird or Hunter is a bonus.
  8. jcom

Thanks guys,

One of the valves won't shut off all the time. Until the source is shut off.

The other one surges when off and dumps a lot of water out of the valve.

9. Is this the first time you've used this valve? Could you post a pic or URL of the exact one you are using?
  10. jcom

This is the first time for us with this valve. The case box says Rainbird 100 ASVF and they are not the rainbird AS 100 available at hardware stores.

Used them to save pressure on a low psi install.

Thanks for the help.