new rear discharge deck

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Tonyr, May 10, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

P.J just saw a pic you posted of the new rear discharge deck, great idea, have you got pics of infield trials/demos to show it's true abilities?

What is the intended market for this deck type?

I ask because this concept is new to me, I'm thinking the discharged clippings won't be as small as side discharge, so if on a residential large lawn the finished look will be rows or long mats of clippings left on the grass...
    And the dewy clipings will clog up on the tyres...

If the market is for areas of less finish quality, councils, or acreages for e,g then I understand.

My comparison while tping this is, the super z will throw far and even, so min. clippings are noticed, where a rear discharge will leave a mat of larger clippings...

I look forward to your reply, and hopefully pics showing the cut in rough/ long stalky grasses.

Local dealer, Chris Adams , was talking to me about these when he demoed the diesel a few weeks ago, we have troubles down under with our native grasses being so stalky and very hard to cut in one pass, many are keen on these new ideas!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am sorry, I do not have any pics of the unit in action or of the cut, I will ask around and see if someone at the factory can get some for me to post.
    The reasoning behind this mower is simple.... rear discharge = safety in public areas, Hustler has always made a rear discharge mower of some sort.
    2nd reason, trimming, you can trim on both sides of the deck, great for cemeteries and such.
    I am sure there are many more advantages also.
    I have not used this mower myself, but I do know we have been working on it for about 2 years, and we finally have the cut quality where we want it to be.
    You will find this mower to cut better than other brands rear discharge units, due to the fact we are counter rotating the right side blade, this helps in getting the grass out of the deck fast.
    Hope this helps.

Pj

3. Husqman

Husqman LawnSite Member

Mowerconsultant I would be really interested to find out if you could buy this deck to install on current mower? I have a 60 inch super Z that I use 95% in cemeterys. I think this would be the cats meow. Thanks.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Probably a good application for it.............

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The deck will not fit on the current frame.
    If you look in the picture here, you can see the frame is just a bit longer.
    You can trade your current unit in and get the RD unit.

Pj

[​IMG]

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi PJ, mate, this new rear discharge deck...I take it that it is built on a new Super Z frame, my question is, this new super z frame does it power the deck with a belt drive like older models?

Next question, this new deck, is hustler making decks that are belt powered, and decks that are hydro powered for running on the new diesel models?

Or is the new rear discharge deck going to be hydro powered on all models?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The rear discharge on the Super Z gas engine models is a belt drive.
    The rear discharge on the Diesel Super Z's are hydraulic drive.
    The frame on the gas engine models is almost the same as our std units, just a little longer in the front, near the caster wheels, as you can see in the picture.

Pj

8. SuperFast

SuperFast LawnSite Member
    from Tenn

Anyway to get the deck on my 52in super mini z ?

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

PJ, do you know when the rear discharge mowers will be available? I just went to a local dealer to see one and he said they won't be out for another month and a half or more. But i saw on lawnsite that someone already has one? Just wondering.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No.
    60" or 72" is all that we are going to offer at this time.