New Redmax BCZ 3000 trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ratherbeboating, May 18, 2004.

1. ratherbeboating

ratherbeboating LawnSite Member

so I purchased a new trimmer 2 weeks ago. I currently run a 2 year old Shin 230 line trimmer, so that's what this comparison will be against.

It's the new BCZ 3000 from Redmax. apparently everything is tweaked just a little bit from the 2600 series.

The head has a two chamber spool instead of a single. For clearification.......it looks like 2 spools on top of each other. One chamber for each string so the strings don't get tangled when they disperse.

Pros:

the power is head and shoulders above the 230. When you get in the thick stuff it always seems to have power to spare. I find myself running the 230 at full power most of the time and with the 3000 I don't have to.

the line doesn't seem to weld as much in this spool.

Quiet, since I"m not running wide open all the time it is much more quiet than the 230. though running wide open is just as loud as the 230.

Cons:

line distribution, I always seem to be bumping the head on the ground 2- 3 times just to get more line instead of the one bounce the 230 takes. Though this could be a good thing, making me not as "line happy".

Engine runs cold, it's not a 1 pull machine like the 230. It will take me 2-3 pulls when first starting, obviously this isn't too much but it's more than the 230. Then when I do get it started, I have to let it idle for about 3-4 minutes before bumping the gas or it will stall on me. Once it's warm it's a 1 pull to restart and goes like the wind.

All in all I'm real happy with the performance and find myself using it more and more over the 230.

Jim

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Who has 3-4 minutes to wait on a trimmer warm-up??? Mine has as long as it takes for me to walk around the truck and start trimming (maybe 8 or 10 seconds - FYI Deere XT140SB 2-cycle).

Not trying to knock your new trimmer. I'm sure its a fine machine and I'm happy for you, but I must say that would never work for me.

3. ratherbeboating

ratherbeboating LawnSite Member

Who has 3-4 minutes to wait on a trimmer warm-up??? Mine has as long as it takes for me to walk around the truck and start trimming (maybe 8 or 10 seconds - FYI Deere XT140SB 2-cycle).

I fully agree with you, dealer told me it will be like that for the first "few hours" until it breaks in. I'll trust until it proves him wrong.

I just fire it up while I'm doing something else, loading trailer, getting a drink, edging, whatever, then it's warm when I'm ready for it.

Jim

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, well if that's just for the break-in period, that's cool. After it gets broke in, you'll have it made.

5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I just run mine on half choke for the first 2 minutes or so. Even at that is has plenty of power. The engine is very good on fuel. I can get about 15 lawns on a tank. My FS 85 I can only get about 5.

6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I NEVER run a piece of equipment wide open or put it under a load until it warms up. To do so is ABUSE !

Do you guys who go from start to wide open throttle/working do that with your mowers too?

I start my Redmax, grab a drink of water, and it's ready to go. Same as I've done with Shin and Echo in the past. I don't put any piece of equipment under load until it will throttle up smoothly with the choke off. I train my guys to do it my way - strictly!/-

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've had my Stihl FS55 for about 4 years now. Although I have not been using it as a LCO (yet) it has been through its own version of hell. I used it two years in a row with a saw blade clearing line-of-sight through the woods while I was a land surveyor (for topo shots). Without doubt it was brutally used at times going from wide-open to dead stop trying to wack down a wrist-sized tree or limb... it always made the cut. I am very surprized I did not blow out a clutch or snap the drive. During this time it was also used on our 1.5acre home property doing usual trimming once a week, including a nasty 100 foot ditch. It runs very strong, hardly ever bogging down, even in pretty tall & thick grass. It still runs perfectly.

My question would be, what do other brands, such as Redmax, have over the $200 55? I just dont see it?

8. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I have the BCZ3000S and the secret to warming it up is to let it sit for about 20 seconds. Then, give it a little gas and, as slowly a possible, get it up to full throttle. After that you are good to go. That only takes 1-1.5 to get going!!

9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Mine has gotten better. If its hot no problem right away full power. If its cold I start it on full choke and full gas, once its running i keep the throttle at full and move the choke from full to off right before it would shut down from being on choke and then back to choke until right b4 it would shut down. I do this for about 5 seconds and its ready to go! I use .095 trimmer line and if the grass thick I can get out about 8-10 inches of line. If the grass is not that thick I can get out 12-15 on each side. Any other questions about the trimmer feel free to give a shout.