New rider for small mowing business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, Jun 11, 2000.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone,<br>I just became a member earlier this week, and instead of posting in here, I made the mistake of posting in the What did you start with? section of the forum. I don't guess that that part of the forum is visited too often because i only got 1 reply. LOL<br>Now I hope by posting in here, I will get more responses.<br>I'm gonna be starting a small mowing business (part time) in the spring of next year. I've just bought a used rider this week that i am working on now. This one I plan to use as a secondary rider. <br>At the first of next year, I'm going to buy a new rider. I don't have a tremendous amount of funds on tap to buy a really expensive model.<br>I was wondering if I could get some recommendations from some of you on what would be a good rider for around $2000.<br>I'm just starting out here, so anything that you guys could tell me would help out a great deal.<br>What i'm doing is picking up my equipment piece by piece. That way, I can pay cash for everything, and can avoid getting a bank loan. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that I bought at the first of the year, so I've got a vehicle that will tow a trailer. An aquaintance of mine has an extra trailer that he wants to sell, and i'm gonna go over to his place in the near future and check it out.<br>I also have a good friend that has a full service landscape business. He's gonna give me advice on bookkeeping and bidding jobs.<br>Anything that any of you guys can contribute would help a lot, and it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much :eek:)<p>Tim
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hi tim,<br>I am in the same boat as you though im pretty sure your a lot older then me, i am only 14. You will learn so much on this forum! I have only been on for a few weeks (2.5) and i half already learned so much. These guys will give you tons of info on what mower to get and everything else possible. they no what they are talking about to! Good luck!<br>Scottie<br>STS Lawn Care
  3. pottstim

Hey Scottie, thanks for your reply. I'm 23 years old. I replied to your post titled &quot;New&quot; earlier this week. Go back and check it out if you have time. <br>Take care,<br>Tim
  4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing you should cosider is<br>public liability insurance.If you hit someone<br>with a rock,ect. your business will be down<br>the drain real quick.Then the customer is<br>liable for any damage/injury you caused as<br>well.I would check out for<br>a good used mower.<p>Karl<br>
  5. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

Southside is right about the insurance. It will run you about $300 a year. Keep on paying cash for things you can afford, great way to go. As far as picking up a rider for $2000. I don't think you'll find a commercial rider in that price range. The normal price range is between $4900-$10k for new and a little less for used riders. I'd recommend not getting a residential riding lawn mower(ie Home Depot, ect.) When I started this business I was told by a veteran &quot;anything with a steering wheel is obsolete&quot; and he was right. Also, if you are doing mostly residential accounts, a small 36&quot;-44&quot; commercial walk-behind mower might be a better choice. They are only slightly above your price range ($2000-2900) new for a belt drive. It will save you time in cutting and repair compared to a res. rider and the increases productivity will pay for itself alot faster than a rider. Just my $0.02. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
  6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

i second Grass Roots post. don't get a residential rider. You can get a good walkbehind for around that pice and it will be much faster that a rider and you will lokk more profesional and the cut is better. If you don't want to walk get a velke. good luck
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish you the best of luck. Concerning your bookeeping - checkout and download their AR (accounts receivable) program. I've tried everything including clip and quickbooks pro and nothing is easier, faster, or more customizable for the lawn service industry than medlin. Now the best part, it's only $35 and you can try it before you buy it. I've been using it for over 10 years. Only thing it doesn't have is scheduling but if you've only got 100 or so accounts that shouldn't be a problem. If you've got any questions feel free to e-mail me
  8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

a good used walkbehind mower like exmark brand can be found for around 1400.00 if you shop around for it.Go commercial on your mowers are they will not hold up to hard use good luck on your venture.<p>Lawnworker
  9. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Little Green Guy hit on the head!Unless you are unable to walk buy a commercial walk-behind!I have run Walkers ever since I started my business about 6 years ago.Then last year i bought a Scag 36'' dual hydro 14hp.We bought it for small yards yards with gates and hills.A commercial walk-behind like Scag Exmark Ramsomes Ferris and so on will out last a home depot style rider 5 times over!!!!I too though walking would stink.But even after all those years of buzzing aroung on my Walkers I don't find it bad at all!!!!It is not like a push mower it does all the work.Little Green Guy and I are not the only ones on here that will tell you to get a commercial walkbehind.Countless others have started using walk-behinds after running riders for years.Many on here use all walk-behinds.One large advantage is old ladys will not wine that they don't want you useing a rider on there lawn.That is why walk-behinds are so popular in Flordia.I hope this will help you out!Ask the others getting a walk-behind is far and away better than buying a home depot special!!!!!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
  10. pottstim

Thanks everyone for your posts! I really appreciate them. As far as the liability insurance goes, I've already thought about that, and it's something that i won't start my business without. I don't want to take any chances, stuff happens to put it mildly. LOL<br>I saw some walk behinds in the paper at the local New Holland/Simplicity Dealer. They were MTD brand. Are these any good? I'd like to hear your opinions.<p>Thanks a bunch,<br>Tim