New Riding Law Mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cross1933, Feb 19, 2008.

1. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

I am looking into getting a new riding lawn mower this spring. I am looking for something that is easy to operate,mulching blades and deck size of 46" max. I have been looking at the John Deere 125, its price is $1799(max. I want to spend). Any other suggestions?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you going to use this mower for commercial landscaping?:waving:

3. cross1933

no, personal residence

4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't count out Craftsmans. You can save a lot of money on leftovers and they are just as nice. For that amount of money you can get a lot more mower and a few accessories like a bag kit. A lot of guys out there with 20 year old Craftsman tractors.

5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Here is something to think about. Out of all the mowers that come through our shop to be repaired, John Deere is one of the biggest. Along with MTD, Poulan etc. Just cause it has green paint like the big ones doesn't mean its as efficient. If you want to get a good Deere machine, you will have to spend around $22 to $2500 for their descent tractor mowers. Back before I started mowing, I was like you wanting to get the cheap Deere instead of buying from Sears. I am friend with the Deere dealer here, and he told me to never consider buying a mower under $2000 in his shop. I then asked about the small Z that is carried at Home Depot, and he told me again, I would need to get the one $5000 and up to be happy and get a nice machine. He doesn't think very highly on the 110s and 120s series. We have 4 small ones in our shop right now getting ready for the mowing season. Also you have to think of getting that thing worked on. We get some small Deere units that still are under warranty to fix, because the shop is always so far out on getting repairs done. If you are trying to get in cheap, might as well get the MTD, you are about in the same boat. You can either spend $999 on the Poulan, or $2200 on the Deere. There is not any good options in between. I personally like Dixon's little zero turn for $2995. 0% till 2010, 3 year warranty. Just my 2 cents.

6. cross1933

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You may as well buy the CubCadet or one of the other MTD brands. The Toro labeled lawn tractor is also made by MTD and this can be confirmed if you don't believe me, by comparing the format of the model and serial numbers under the seat.

Scratch that. The XL is probably Toro made, I was thinking of the cheaper Home Depot LX models.

8. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

If those MSRP's are close to real world pricing, you will not get enough for your money with the Toro. I would say go with a $1000 +/- mower for what you are needing. You will not see a significant improvement in quality until you get into the $2500 plus range, so don't bother. I will make a suggestion, however. Maybe you should consider waiting, saving, or biting the bullet and getting into a small, entry level estate z turn such as a Mini FasTrak. Take a look at the deals you can get and what you get for your money. It is an investment that WILL pay for itself in longevity, reliability, and time savings.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

In your price range it looks like the 32" deck with 5-speed transmission would be it. Haven't seen this one in a big box, maybe you could demo if a local Toro dealer has one. Seems high for what you get. Toro gives very little info on the website so it a difficult to make a judgment on it.

My Toro dealer does not stock the XL, and refuses to carry the LX as it is MTD made with Toro paint on it he says.

Like Capemay Eagle says, Craftsman offers some good values. Know a guy who got the 20hp 6-speed with 46" deck on sale for $1149 and is happy with it. Personally I'd take my chances on that over a 12hp 32" Toro for $1799.

10. cross1933

Do you have link to the Mini Fast Trak?