New Safety Equipment

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Sep 3, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

This year i am implementing some other new "rules"

Safety Vest:

All:

Plow Truck Drivers
    Equipment Opperators
    Superviors
    Yard Personel
    Shovelers

Must wear safety Vest when you leave your truck. The only exception is when the truck is at the shop, or parked with the blade on the ground, and not in the action of plowing.

Shovelers will also be isshued a clip on "survior light".

This summer, we were doing an install job. Where the a building was being built, and materials were being delivered. Well i had two guys working very close to the access road. Anyways one was wearing a safety vest the other wasn't. Well the morning of this job, was very foggy, the only reason both of those guys are a live today is because of the one guys safety vest. It didn't help that the guy was driving 5' off the road but, i am a firm beliver in safety vest more than ever before.

Geoff

2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Right now I have a guy working part time to implement a saftey program,what else do you do as far as tool box talks etc.Do you do anything with your part time snow drivers to this effect,and has your insurance offered you a break if a saftey program is being used.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

For the $5 - 10 a piece, this is the cheapest safety device you can supply your men with. I have been wearing one for years when clearing walks. Not the best fashion statement, but we all know how most people drive in storms. Make sure you get the reflective type, as there are even cheaper ones sold with no reflective material on them. I also use rain suits with reflective cuffs on them. They cost more than plain rain suits, but are well worth the added cost.

~Chuck

4. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

These safety items are things that have just come up ( no insurance breaks so far, might be better they don't know how long trucks are on the road during a storm) All my drivers are full time year round employees, the few seasonal ones i have are shovelers ages is 18-22, if my own sons don't keep them in line, i do and problem solved.

Geoff

5. diggerman

from Iowa

Do you know what the punishment will be if they don't wear them?I have a hard time with hard hats and my operators sometimes,I am working on a policy which hopefully will help.

6. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Well, i have hard hats in the summer. I have never had much of a problem, i have the 3 strike rule with them. Only you don't get fired on the third strike, just a black mark on the employee file ( 3 black marks in a short period then i start looking at termination)

I am going to try to not have a policy of vest. If i see they are not being used then i pobably will have the same 3 strike policy. Or i might use this policy. Every year each employee gets uniforms, including a jacket, and winter work wear. If ya don't wear a vest, next year ya get jacket with reflectors on them.

Geoff

7. diggerman

from Iowa

Jackets with refectors!You are cruel.