New scag 36" Zcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought one to upgrade from my Toro 36" belt WB. What a difference.
    I demoed a Gravely 34 inch rider a few months ago and just oh no. But this scag is really nice.

A couple of issues. reverse is really slow for some reason, and that annoyed me at first, but now I am used to it and it is fine. The standard ROPS is kind of annoying, but I am getting used to it. One big tree branch related wheelie drove home the point of a tad more weed eating may be required.

I really like the fact that it has 3 blades on a 36. gives GREAT dispersion and very fine particles.

If it had a suspension seat life would be better, but I am just happy to be riding.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Congratulations on the new machine.

I'd rather ride than walk anyday :cool2:
  3. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

To post and ask if anyone had a chance to demo or use one of those yet.

There were non available when I was looking for a small compact 36” unit, so I was disappointed b\c I really like the way Scags are built. payup

Moreover, I settled on a Hustler which suits my purposes and the Scag would probably have been over kill for me…please do keep us posted and tell us all about it.

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

EC-Rider :waving::
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

So far with just over 10 hours she is going great. Very stable platform. A little twitchy at first but that is just because of the short wheelbase and my being used to a 60 inch mower. She is a little tippy feeling but again that is compared to a very wide based 60 inch.

Very quick and great cut quality.
  5. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

SCAG was behind on production but I finally got them to dealers in your area. Theriots, Vaughns, and Chalmette Hardware have them in stock now. I am also the sales rep for Hustler, so thanks for the business. Hope all goes well.
  6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, how much did your scag run you?

what didnt you like the gravely?
  7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to rain on your parade but I think you'll find the blade speed way down on the small blades causing the left side to pack with wet stick grass. I ran into this problem with the Great Dane 36" stander. They also only sold 1 type of blades high-lift which was also a problem. If you don't mow any wet grass it will probably be ok.
  8. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Hey congrats on your purchase! I too was pretty set on the Gravely 34. But found steering was pretty squirrely. I did get a lot of positive info from LS members that own them, and everyone liked the 34, minus the poor hill capabilities. Then I got sidetracked by this thread: "Those Silly Small Deck Riders"

So I checked out the Scag Z Cat -- the 36 doesn't have any "trim edge" to speak of and still was pretty narrow with 8 1/2" tire width (Gravely 34 has 7"). But it is a "gate mower" and propably works great. I chose the 42" Scag. Needed a smaller footprint rider. It has 9 1/2 x 23" tires & on the 42" the rims have a 4" offset, so I should have decent stability. re: Blades -- Scag only sells their "standard lift" blades, but I'm sure between their deck design/blade combo they know what works. The Scag "Eliminator" mulching blades are not yet available for the Z Cat. Hopefully by fall they come out with some. So whether this is one of "those silly small deck riders" or not, I think it's gonna rock for my needs. It's my first "commercial" coming off a riding mower I'm too embarrasseed to mention. But you gotta start somewhere.

After you guys drilled home the value of Dealer Support -- the Scag won out over the Gravely

Many thanks to everyone here at LSF!! Awsome resource and sometimes amusing--Got me through a long winter! Now I gotta mow my *ss off !!

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Well. I want a narrow ZTR only for the purpose of passing through narrow spots,such as a 36 inch gate which is actually less than a full 36 inches inside opening. The Gravely is slightly more than 35" in overall width and fills that need!

The Scag is, according to the specs on the Scag site, 37 inches overall width, so for my pruposes, it won't work. While the larger tires are I'm sure beneficial to both ride and slope handling, I wonder if they add to the overall width?

I guess any mower can be called a "gate mower", hell, my 60" SuperZ passes through a ton of gates every day ( LOL ) but it's the so-called 36" gates that were giving us problems. With the 34Z, problems solved.
  10. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

tider ,

where in alabama are you? I am in good old T town , graduating in two months.