1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Scag - maintenance questions

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GTAlumnus, Mar 26, 2008.

1. GTAlumnus

GTAlumnus LawnSite Member

Just got a new Scag Wildcat with 26Hp LC Kaw & 61" deck. After looking at the owner's manual and engine manual I have the following questions:

1) Break-in period - no mention in either manual.

2) Engine warmup - Kawasaki manual (KM) says warm it up 3-5 minutes before putting under load. I do this all the time with my diesel tractor, I guess it applies to this gas engine as well. I didn't warm it up this much in the first 3 4 hours or so of use.

3) Oil changes - KM says change oil & filter after first 8 hours, then every 100 hours. The Scag Manual (SM) says change oil & filter after first 20 hours and then every 100 hours or bi-weekly whichever is first. Should I go with the 8 hour change per KM?

4) Grease type - SM says use Lithium MP White Grease 2125 for spindles, but "Chassis grease" on every other fitting. Does this mean I have to have two different grease guns loaded? Is this Lithium grease something I can get at Tractor Supply? SM says compatible greases are Mobilix #2, Shell Alvania #2, or Lidok EP #2. I don't know what "chassis grease". I normally use some kind of multipurpose grease for everything, I get it at TSC.

5) Oil Viscosity - The KW shows a chart of different weights to use for various temp ranges. SAE 30 only goes up to 90 degrees or so. SAE 40 goes from 68 to over 100 degrees. Right now its liable to be 55 or 85, and way before the 2nd oil change it will be 95 or more. Should I use 30 weight at the 8 hour change and then change again to SAE 40 when it gets hot? Even 10w30 only goes up to 90 or so, and the KW says the engine will comsume more oil if you use multi-viscosity, and recommends checking it more often if you do.

Thanks for any help I can get.
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

In Kawasaki engines you can run 10w30 or 30sae. I have three Scag Turf Tigers we change the oil and filter every 50hrs with 10w30 oil. Grease about every 25 hrs or so with a high temp valvoline grease. Change oil the first eight hours and then every 50hrs somethings I change it sooner it starts to look dirty. I had two Tiger Cubs with 19 Kawasaki and did the above (except ran 30sae) and never had a problems sold both with around 700hrs. Make sure to grease the grease points behind the wheels on the parking brake actuator. I usually take the back wheels off because they are hard for me to get to. The actuator is about $300 if I remember from when I replace it for lack of grease.
  3. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

i would use KM for engine or you may void engine warranty.
  4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I just use High Temp Red Grease for Everything including the spindles
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would change the oil the 1st time at 8 hours to get and metal that may be in the oil out.

10/30 or 30 should be fine and change oil and filters @ 50 hours

I use 1 type of grease (either is fine) and I lube the wheels and spindles each monday and the entire machine at each oil change

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the 8 hr change as mentioned, Also a little lower temp than specified for the 40w will not hurt a thing if that's what you want to run.

As the manual states, They will burn more mix weight oil than straight.

Oh, The break-in time for most engines is 75 hrs. before swapping to synthetic oils.
  7. GTAlumnus

GTAlumnus LawnSite Member

I already have 7 hours on it. Will change the oil & filter and do the greasing next weekend.

I couldn't find any Lithium MP 2125, but found Mystic lithium regular and high temp at Tractor Supply.

I don't understand why the manufacturer is specing 2 different kinds of grease - what is "chassis grease"? Most of the grease I find says its for wheel bearings and chassis.
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Chassis grease (automotive term) alone is formulated for non high speed applications such as caster forks idler pivot arms etc. and is not recommended for spindle or wheel bearings.

The combo bearing and chassis is good for both applications thus only requiring one grease gun.
  9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawasaki engines have pretty tight tolerances and the first 8 hours should be good enough for break in.
    I use Amsoil 10W30 for small engines and changing every 100 hrs is enough (liquid cooled engine). Changing every other week is absurd if you haven't ran the mower more than 50 hours.
  10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have same unit, bought new in May of '06. I changed oil and filter at about 5-6 hours, went with synthetic, Mobil 1. Also changed hydro oil to synthetic 20-50. As a homeowner I do not put that many hours on mower, so I generally change oil at 20 hours or twice a year. Unit now has 84 hours, first year did not put too many hours on it due to severe drought that summer. I generally grease about once a month. I am planning on every other year changes on hydro oil. It's overkill but I paid a lot for this machine and keeping fresh new oil is not a cost consideration for me as I want it to last a long time.