1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New scag trick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ho5tile, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ho5tile

ho5tile LawnSite Member

I got this idea talking to saber tooth owners. My turf tiger was always to "heavy" on the front. it didn't turn as easily as it should. But the saber guys complained about their machines being to "light" in the front (popping up on steep hills). So I go to my dealer and park the two side by side to see whats so different. from the drive wheels forward the two look exactly the same, but behind the wheels is alot different. the sabers have about 5" or 6" added to the rear to allow for the bigger/heavier motor and pumps.

So I go home and bolt my suit case weights to the rear of my tiger. The difference can be described as WOW. The machine works like it is supposed to now. No more spinning wheels trying to make a turn, no more fish tailing on side ways runs and no more pumps whinning when they work to hard. I would realy suggest you guys/gals try this. Its like locking the hubs on a 4x4!

I was seriously thinking of trading for an exmark although this machine only had 20 hours on it but the next 5 hours made all the difference
  2. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

That's an interesting concept. I take my catcher bags off the back end for most of the middle of the season but leave the weights on the front end. I haven't noticed much wheel slippage until it gets really dry out. Think I may take the weights off the front and see if that makes a diff for me. I always thought more downforce on the front end would make me quicker into the turns. But maybe it's better to have the speed in the straight aways. Oh, sorry that's NASCAR stuff not mowing.
  3. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

and I thought that it was only me thinking that the new one was lighter in the frt compared to my 1999 model Saber Tooth
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

5. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I think that may be true if your front wheels are doing the turning, but on a ZTR the rear wheels control your turning by spining one faster than the other.