New SCAG, Turf Tiger, 61", Vanguard 35hp, first impressions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MacMitch, Jun 6, 2014.

1. MacMitch

MacMitch LawnSite Member

Sometimes first impressions can be valuable. I have a Ferris 3100Z with Vanguard 30hp that may be getting a different engine.

The big concern I had going to the SCAG TT was ride quality. The first day when I was pushing the speed envelope, 12mph on my property, I noticed the difference. This AM I experimented mowing at more reasonable mowing speeds, actually slower speeds as I am working in very wet grass that is way past due for mowing. I was very pleased with the ride and feel confident that the ride will not be a problem at the normal speeds I mow at, more like 6-10mph. I would like to mow faster and plan to optimize my property for fast mowing with 61" decks. I expect to work up to 8-12mph but I don't think I have enough large, open, unobstructed area to mow at 14-16mph. I am confident that this mower will meet my comfort requirements.

The major benefits I see with the TT vs the Ferris mower are: The deck and motor combo handle tall grass, especially wet tall grass very well. The 35hp Vanguard engine is a positive in my hilly environment where I occasionally need a ZT that can do a little "bushhoging". I like the fact that there are no gas tanks on the side of the mower that can obstruct my view or hit things. The 8.5 gal tank under the seat is all the gas I need for a days work and placing the weight low in the center stabilizes the mower on hills. I think this feature benefits me by increasing my ability to mow around objects safely. The SCAG TT has the feeling of being a mature product all the controls feel like they are in the right place and function with a minimal amount of fuss.

About my only issue with the TT at this point is so far I am not getting the quality of cut I was hoping for. Obviously this issue will get better as I figure out how to set the deck up, which blades to use...I tend to mow too high often at 4.25-4.5" or even taller. Sometimes my dogs need practice tracking in taller grass, sometimes I like to let the grass get tall enough to make some seed. When I lowered the deck to 3.75 from 4.25" I got better results. I may need to mow at 3-3.5" to get optimal results.

I am very happy with the new SCAG TT mower. I can see why this mower has the highest resale value.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I've been following the other thread, and saw you had started this one, so came here to read your review/thoughts.

Yes, the TT is as good as it gets, and you bought the combo I came oh so close to buying myself (and still wish I had).

As for the QOC- you're cutting field grasses much taller than normal at those heights. No mower is going to cut cleanly at those heights in one pass because the deck really starts losing vauum once you get above 3.5"- 4". Once you've cut the tall, stiff grass a few times, the the QOC will improve even at those heights because the grass stems tend to become less stigff. If you stay at 4" max HOC, you will get better results. That deck has a sterling reputation for good reason.
    I am glad you got something that is making you happy, and once you re-power the Ferris, you'll have to fine machines to use.:)

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You will be well satisfied, the cut height is what's making you question the QOC, no mower cuts big grass at almost transport height without leaving what appears as a mess. I can guarantee there is nothing wrong with this deck, drop it down into the 3 1/2" range and you will see how it was designed to perform. In other words, "ditto" what Ridin explained.

4. MacMitch

MacMitch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the perceptive, accurate analysis of the "issue/non-issue" Pup & Ridin. I was not exactly sure about the exact heights, but what you are saying matches my experience perfectly. The Ferris was leaving patches at 4+ too, so I knew it was not the SCAG deck. I think I can go down to 3.5" without killing off fescue so that is what I am going to start doing.

The SCAG TT & Vanguard 35hp feel well matched, and I am really appreciating the maturity of the design of this machine. My 4 month old pup loves it too. The little 6-8 lb rascal goes nuts if I drive off on it without him;-)

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That's awesome. My dogs both loved to go riding anywhere, anytime. Just make sure your pup learns to be wary of the deck. Don't want him sticking his nose into the discharge chute sometime.:nono::eek:

Fescue will be fine at 3.5". It may get a little shocked on the first cut or two, but rain and a short amount of time will have it looking great. I cut everything at 3.5" here.

6. MacMitch

MacMitch LawnSite Member

Any further words of wisdom regarding:adjusting, outfitting, accessorizing this mower are appreciated. I know I want another set of blades or two or three. I will probably do a roof too as the GA sun is hot. I limb everything up to my tractors roof anyway. He needs a name too. The Ferris is a female named Grass Wolf. Wolves are a theme here.

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Isn't Turf Tiger good enough? I think I would name it Tony. :laugh:

8. puppypaws

Tiger Wolf...

9. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed that my tiger cats really start to lose there vacuum and cut quality at 4" and above that it gets a little worse with each upward adjustment......... Love that deck.... I have a turf tiger demo coming with the Koehler efi next week........ Can't wait....... I know what it will cut like as I own several tiger cats but my back is screaming for something more comfortable.. The tiger cats beat me to death....... Hope it fits the bill.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. puppypaws

I will take bets right now it will fit the bill...no offense, but when you move from a Tiger Cat to a Turf Tiger you are changing cutting worlds, everything will be a huge step up in difference of the TT over the TC. You can't expect any deck to retain suction after a certain height, and above 3" it starts changing gradually with all decks.