New Scag Turf Tiger Arrived Today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenred, Jun 12, 2009.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

My newest toy arrived today. I got a Scag Turf Tiger with a 31 HP Kohler Aegis liquid cooled and fuel injected engine. The Scag has the 61 inch mowing deck.

Im going from a Toro Z with 52 inch deck to this new Scag. The difference is night and day. The Toro is the same as a Exmark and feels like a little sports car with a stiff suspension, while the Scag Turf Tiger reminds me of my grandpas Buick Roadmaster - a big cushy boat of a Z. Im getting adjusted to the steering. On the Toro the steering was so responsive it is almost jerky. The Scag is responsive and precise, you just have to get adjusted to the cushy dampening of the steering and compensate for it. You also have to compensate for the Scags impressive size.

The cut so is phenomenal. The clippings disperse so well, and it lays down a fairly good stripe with one pass.

I cut mine and my neighbors lawn so far. Her lawn looks beautiful. I took pictures of it but its evening and the sunlight just was not working for me and makes the lawn look bad when it isnt.

The potential bad news is I found a washer on my drive way. The washer looks new and appears to match the washers on the Scag. Every thing is functioning properly and I cant figure out if the washer is even from the Scag. I checked over the scag the best I could. Hopefully its just coincidence and I dont have a catastrophic failure of a part due to the dealership not tightening a random part correctly.

I have a question for the other owners of Scags out there. When I bought my Toro Z the dealer told me to throttle down on the engine when I started the PTO as it would save wear and tear on the clutch. I always have and the Toro is going on 9 years old with the original clutch. Should I do the same with the Scag?

Here are some pics. I couldn't resist getting my Exmark TTHP out and putting it next to it.

2. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

Enjoy your new toy, greenred. The TT truly is a solid machine with a great cut in the wet and heavy.
  3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you need to be less than full throttle to engage the clutch. Engaging the clutch at full throttle will lessen the life. I believe this is expained in your owners manual in better detail as I can't remember the exact way its worded. Anyway welcome to the family, keep us up to date on the 31 kohler. And if you have any more questions feel free to drop a pm.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations! I would go over all the bolts visually and by feel to make sure they are all tight. I would also watch for any kind of leak, especially the first week or so. It is not uncommon to have to tighten things on a new ZTR such as bolts and hoses. My new Exmark had bad lines from the factory and were replaced under warranty. Some parts are put on by the dealer also so check to make sure. We will look forward to your reports, especially on that 31 Kohler we know so little about. Some good news is that model has a GT5 Ogura clutch rated at 350 lbs of torque and is adjustable but lower the rpms to engage.
  5. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

out of all the machines i hear about this is the leaste talked about one! i think you made a great choice! efi kohler and a deck that can handle anything with a chassi that is industrial! let us know about fuel consumption !
  6. tacoma200

Get a power chute, you'll thank me (if they have those switches fixed). Pays for it's self with one window or less.
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats on the new TT, 31hp:):dancing: Liquid cooling for long life & EFI great choice. Keep us posted on the the fuel consumption. As others have said I would not engage the PTO above half throttle, just a good habit to extend PTO life I do this on all my ZTR's & Kubota M6800 tractor
  8. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention. I demoed the 29 HP liquid cooled EFI Kawasaki Turf Tiger with same size deck. It felt anemic, like it was just not putting out enough power for a machine like the Turf Tiger. The 31HP Kohler Aegis is night and day over the Kawasaki in terms of power. When I start up the deck I can just sense the raw power being transferred to it, and the hydro system seems to have a lot more power. The difference in power and the price I was offered on mine was the deal breaker for which one I went with.

I plan to add Scags own OCDC to the deck, and their striping kit eventually. I was quoted $279 for the OCDC and an jaw dropping $399.99 for their striping kit.

Thanks for the advice on the PTO guys.
  9. Linder'sLawnCare

Linder'sLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I love the TT. As many have stated, I want to know how the Kohler efi holds up.
  10. tacoma200

There are many that don't like the striping kit. It can bend if you back into something or get in a bad bind. But the fact that I can put it on and take it off in seconds is a great plus in my book. I had a steel roller on the Exmark and it destroyed the ride on a bumpy lawn and was always getting in a bind in our uneven terrain, time consuming when adjusting height (my friend with a Dixie roller feels the same way). Plus you can lock it in the up position when not in use. It is not as durable as a steel roller, and actually makes a little lighter stripe, but it makes up for it in versatility.