new scag turf tiger owner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tarp5350, May 16, 2007.

1. tarp5350

tarp5350 LawnSite Member

Well i finally pulled the trigger on a new mower today. i bought a new turf tiger with the 29 dfi motor. i used it today to mow my five acres and i was very impressed with the speed and cut that it did. i had to make a decision very quick because my old 1975 john deere 400 broke down on me several days ago and the grass was growing like crazy. i know that the turf tiger is overkill since i could have got a wildcat, but i like all the goodys that the turf tiger has on it. hell i am 63 years old and it only costs 80 percent more to go first class, besides you can,t take it with you when you die. i told my kids i was spending their inheritance and they could fight over it after i am gone, but back about the mower, i appreciate all of the information that i have seen here on this site and it was very helpful. thanks to everbody.
  2. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Congrats! :clapping:

I'm sure you will enjoy many happy hours on it.

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Funny ......good luck with that beast.How long did it take you to cut 5 acres?
  4. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

You will not be let down.......At the end of this season I'm getting another one.......actually the same one you got....welcome to the scag family
  5. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

I know that audrey is a scag owner, and the other posters....

How have you been doing with the decks on the scags. I have seen mut near everyone around here leaving beautiful cuts with them. I will be buying another mower really soon...well call it equipment failure...anyways, Any complaints with the scags?
  6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I basically did the same thing last year when I bought my Wildcat for 1.75 acres.
  7. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I am for the most part, very pleased with the new one.

I'll call a spade a spade though -

I find fault with the deck in two places. First, as with the older Advantage, it doesn't take out all the really tall spindly stuff. The Velocity is better, but I still get stringers. Different types of blades and slow speed don't fix it. By tall, I mean thin weeds over 5 inches. I can contribute some of them to bumpy ground/spanning because of the 61" deck, but certainly can't hang the whole problem onto that. Changing direction helps also, but does not solve it. EDIT: I generally cut at 3 1/2.
    From what Tacoma has posted, and others, eXmark does not have this problem.

The second, is it cuts lousy in reverse. The older deck is great for reverse cutting. I know it's not used very often, but sometimes in certain areas you can just clean up by cutting backwards and then be done. It's a time saver. Fence rows, bigger cutout areas, around certain types of shrub areas, etc. When you come in cutting, stop, then reverse, you get a small pile deposit at the front of the deck when you pull back. Also cutting of uncut grass in reverse will clump like crazy. It will not cut evenly either. The old design was far superior in this specific case. Forwards, the new deck is wonderful! :)

If you go Scag TT and you mulch, you will need the full kit. In my experience, I get a good size trail on the discharge side when just using the discharge block off plate.

Other than that, I'm like a pig in poop with it. :laugh: I wish they would have made the 35 fuel injected. :weightlifter:

But seriously, I'm glad I bought it. It's been a blast to drive, service, and well, own. Service is very easy and blade changes are 10 minutes tops with an impact and jungle jack. The new deck requires much less scraping also. The suspension seat is also very worthwhile.

If you do hills you will appreciate this machine. It's heads above the older ones. I need to watch the scalping more when coming over the top as it's a 61 over a 52, but I can now go places where I was afraid to before. It sticks to basin walls going sideways very well.

Sorry to hear about your experiences with Hustler. Too bad you're so far away! I'd let you run my stuff through the paces and see what you think.

Tarp5350- What's your impression? Try some different things next time you mow. What are your experiences cutting in reverse?

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Audrey -- Constructive feedback ... thanks !!
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the Scag Velocity will loose a little lift at higher settings but this is minor to say the least. Leaves a pile of grass in reverse. All this is easily offset by the remarkable cutting in thick grass and decent turf. It is really a beast when it comes to taming those super lush lawns or when it damp. Scag makes a great deck over all. I would think in OK. you shouldn't have any problems with the type of grass out there. I have been mowing some thick nasty stuff this year with the Velocity plus deck and haven't had the first clump yet while my Exmark did spit out a few micro clumps. The Exmark cut was a little smoother but man with that Scag move the grass. It's pretty unstoppable.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You and I have a little age on us and no matter what we want to think our time of cutting grass is running out quicker than we would like to believe. I have always been a firm believer in if you can afford it buy what you want, I agree with you 100% some call it over kill but what difference does it make what they think you only have to satisfy yourself and God.

You will have to love the mower because you got the top of the line in one of the best zero turn companies in the world. You just go out and have yourself a wonderful time with the new mower because you and I both know this is a one way ticket and when you leave here you want have to cut grass.