New Scag WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by birddog, Feb 15, 2001.

1. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

Just picked up a Scag 48" WB yesterday with a 4 stroke air cooled V-twin Kawasaki. Man o' man what a machine. Ran the same machine with a 14 kohler for a few years and decided to go with the 17. The machine runs super smooth with less vibration. I would recommend this engine over the Kohler all day long to anyone. I wish I had switched earlier.

Any thoughts ?

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a 52" Scag hydro last season with the 17 Kawi! The thing rocks! Did you get the hydro? If so, you might want to look into the tension springs as there are 3 different levels of tension/springs. If you plan on using a sulky you will need to beef them up a bit if the factory sent you the lightest springs. Only downside is the increased spring tension causes hand fatigue after so long. I went with the middle of the 3 and it is a perfect match. If you have the hydro and are using a sulky you will notice the lkack of power on hills if you have the lightest springs. This is caused by the hydro forcing itself back into neutral. The heavier springs keep the valves and fluid flowing.

Good luck with it...you'll be happy...they are built like tanks!

Glen

3. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am picking up my new 52 hydro on March 15th,
    Scraper, Thanks for the heads-up on the tension springs, That will save me some frustration. Do you have the Advantage deck?? Mine has the Advantage deck, but not the Ultimate adjustible. Also it has the 17 Kawisaki, I've only heard good things about that engine.

SJR

[Edited by SJR Lawncare on 02-15-2001 at 02:06 PM]

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah...I have the Advantage deck...don't really know how much of an advantage it is though. Still clogs up underneath when wet. When dry cuts like a dream. Also I use the double blades...spring and summer = gator on top, regular on bottom; fall = gator on bottom, regular on top. And yes the engine is great! Has a beautiful rumble to it when idling...ararar ;)

5. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

I purchased the 52" hydro (17 Kaw) with the ultimate deck last year and so far so good with one exception - the deck ate belts when the deck was above 3.5" due to the wrong tension spring being on the affected pulley and a bent peg on the height adjustment. However, Scag fixed the problem under warranty and I'm ready for the new season!! This year is also the first year for me to try double blades, so hopefully that will eliminate the clumping that I had to deal with last spring.