New Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by govols, Jun 16, 2006.

1. govols

govols LawnSite Member

Just purchased another Scag ZT 61" with the velocity plus deck. I now can say that scag has passed exmark on their cut quality. This thing is a cutting monster. No more double cutting for us.

Good luck to all!! and GO VOLS!!!!

2. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Congrats!

I picked up my new 61" Tiger this week too.

A

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

How is your Turf Tiger ? I am looking to buy one and need an opinon or two.....I cannot choose between a SCAG and an Exmark

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Good deal! I'd like to know which model, cutting with, and engine you bought. Also about the ride and handling of the Scag. I have only drove one and it felt a little wierd sitting that low after being on an Exmark with the supension seat but it was built like a tank. The biggest complaint I've heard with Scag is handling such as the control levers having so much dampening that it was hard to turn, and manuever. Also I understand the deck has an adjustable baffle. Tell us more. I have a video from Scag but I would rather hear it first hand about the handling and cut. I have rarely ever had to cut twice with the Exmark but it's the older style deck. Give us the details. Thanks!

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag hands down for price and options.

6. tacoma200

Can we trust govols to make an unbiased opinion on anything painted orange? Would you still buy one if they changed the color to Kentucky Wilcat Blue? Just joking man but after I seen you were from Tennessee and thought about the govols name I figured out why your riding an orange machine. Look forward to more info.

7. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck with the VOLS ......GO BUCKS!!!!

8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Turf Tiger with the new velocity deck. It disperses the clipping even when it is wet with minimal clumping. We have the 52 with a 27 Kohler and I think it cuts better than our Tiger Cub (advantage deck) with a 48 deck.

9. tacoma200

But how does it handle? Ride? Do they still have the super dampened control levers? I guess you would get used to them but they seem to the the hardest ones to push and pull last time I tried one.

10. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Buckeye -

Absolutely, this feels like the heaviest machine that I've tried. In my understanding, this has everything to do with the dampeners. I demoed an eXmark HP. That machine had more "flickability" than anything. Right behind it was the Ferris 3000. I didn't load either of those two at the dealerships. You guys would have laughed your butts off witnessing me backing off the trailer and the first 15 minutes or so driving them. :laugh:

Driving the 2006 61" Tiger as opposed to the 2001 52" Tiger is a big difference also. The 06 feels heavy and big. I feel like I am throwing the front end around. "Lumbering" if you will. The eXmark snapped to. Very herky-jerky for my taste. But the more I used it, the better I became with the controls. After and hour or two, I was fine. It was just...different. I do not mind the Scag's control feeling. It moves the way I want it to, and I am comfortable. I do not see it as detrimental in any way whatsoever. It doesn't move slower, it just feels like it.

The 06 sits very low. With the 01 I feel like I'm sitting in a kids high chair. The dealer said the 06 is only about 2 inches lower, but holy smokes! What a difference! I hugged hills that I never even tried with the 01. This machine sticks like nothing else. The eXmark is close, but I can put this Tiger where I could not put that HP. I won't comment on the Ferris.

Power wise, I could bog all the machines. The eXmark 27/56 faired the best. I demoed a 61" Tiger/27hp, and IIRC, the Ferris was a 27/61 also. I think the eXmark did a little better because of the HP/deck size ratio.

I went with the 35 hp on the new Tiger. It's flat out incredible. I suffered with 23hp on that 52" deck and it is dismal. Forget about running three hi-lifts. Blah! Well, I won't make the same mistake twice. Coming from that machine, it sounds funny, but, it's almost scary. At full tilt, even with the heavy dampening, it's a little squirrly. I'm not complaining at all, it's just a new experience. I will get used to it in time. It's like going from a Honda 600cc to a stage 1 Road King. :dancing:

The ride is wonderful. Heck, at full speed on bumpy ground, I don't even need to wear a bra. Or, for you Seinfeld fans.... a Bro. :laugh: The 61/35 comes with the suspension seat. Very nice!! I can feel the seat moving up and down doing it's job. Without it, on the demo, it was still a little (and I mean a little) better than the 01.

So far, I am very pleased with the machine. I haven't begun to play yet though. So time will tell.

I posted a pic in the pic forum. I'll post more soon.

A