1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new scrubs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 12, 2004.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Has everyone noticed alot of new companys in the newspaper clasifieds and or flyers for lawn care. We have a ton of new ones. Anyone else have the sime findings? I have lost a few bids to the station wagon lco. Oh well hope the customers are happy. The only thing they cant take or bid on is the large commercial propertys.
  2. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

not another scrub thread
  3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

i guess not i dont fell threatened by them i wish in my state you had to have a permit or cetification to regulate the market.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

no offence but theres enough regulating already for me. usually translates into another form of tax.if people knew how muchof each dollar taken in actuallly is theirs. everybody mite do better to just live off the land somehow.
    speaking of which.. i been around a while.. everybody better be honing there get by with less skills.the next 25 yrs will see an drastic change in the working classes standards of life..at least for the black an white workers in this country.
    the only thing for sure is change. better get ready..
    hope im wrong. jmo
  5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like sour grapes to me
  6. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

why is it that when someone starts a lawn business or takes customers away from you they are considered scrubs. Isnt that the american way. When I have work done to my house I always get a few quotes. I dont always take the cheapest but its my decision as a customer. This is a cut throat business. We are always trying to gain new accounts but sometimes people go for the $$$$ rather than the quality. I pay my insurance and taxes for my small part time business to protect myself, but its not my responsibility to make everyone else do it. caveat emptor
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

We are not the only industry that has "scrubs" look at the home improvement trades. I see weekend warriors building decks, roofing and the list go on and on. Ever notice all the guys doing body shop work out of their garage. How about the electrician/ handyman guys that are not licesned. I don't want the customers that hire these guys and you shouldn't either.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's try to revive the dead-horse, so we can beat it some more.

I would imagine the amount of new companies out there are affecting some of the large companies with hundreds of employees, but we, as a five man operation, are continually growing and adding help every season. There is a lot of work to be had. I wonder if other people that I get work from think we're scrubs. Just because you loose bids, even at lower prices, doesn't mean they're a low-baller.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Every "scrub" I have used has done some great work..... They pay closer attention to detail than a good number of professional companies(in all lines of work)....

Turning away customers based on whether they hire scrubs is a philosophy I can do without.... If its green I dont care whose wallet it comes out of as long as it goes in mine.....