New SD deck on an older Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indiana, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I resently got a SD deck for my Walker. My walker is a 1994 and has the older square shaft. The new 48" SD deck has the new spline shaft. I had the guy order me a new style spline driveshaft for my walker and my old deck. He then told me later after I got the deck that it would be better to convert the new deck to the square shaft.

The new deck is also tilt up and the old deck is not. I have the square driveshaft he ordered me but it doesn't even go on the deck gear box. Also it is a much different design.

Anybody ever done this? How did you do it?
  2. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

To change the shaft on the deck you have to change the gear box too--I think. But if you change the shaft on the tractor it costs about $90 and all you have to do is pull it of- no tools needed .This is what I know from older machines and my not be true now. Brad
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I assume you are talking about your old deck being a 48" GHS unit. Go with the splined shaft,runs smother and is quieter, also has better set up for shear pins. I bought a new 48"GHS and a 62" SD deck last year. The 48" GHS deck is like night and day compared to the old one. Wish I had done it sooner. I belive the 48" SD deck is a new model.