New Season/ New Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whacked_46, Jan 18, 2003.

1. whacked_46

whacked_46 LawnSite Member

Hey,

I live in Calgary Alberta Canada and am haveing a really slow year with snow removal. I have had way to much time to think about the up comeing season. I have been running my bussiness for about 4 years now and am really wanted to expand the company. I have about 20 contracts for snow removal, and the same twenty want me for lawn care this season. But im just not getting the money i want, i just dont feel like i am makeing enough. So i want to start doing commercial and acreages propertys.

I have 3 lawn mowers and 2 weed whackers and all the other basics. But if i get in to acrages i will need a bigger tractor. I am looking at The Compact 2210 from John Deere. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and am wanting to know if anyone else is useing the same tractor and if it does the job for big propertys.

The attachments that you can put on this tractor rock and almost does every thing.

So to sum this thread up i need to know:

1. Does any one use this Tractor www.JohnDeere.com/2210
    2. Does any one do acrages and if so how do you go about anvertiseing in the country side.
    3. What the best size tractor for Commercial Propertys.

Thanks for your time and have a Good Day/Night

Later Dayz:D

2. iowapride

iowapride LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I'm not familiar with the 2210 at all. I didn't know they even made that size. I looked on the deere web site and notice the biggest mid mount deck you can put under it is the 54". I have a 4100, 4300, 4310, and 4400 and love them. The 4100 is a great multipurpose tractor. I till gardens and seedings jobs with it, have a 47" two stage snow blower and cozy cab on it, 60" mid mount deck, and spray with it in the fall. I was just wondering if you ever considered jumping up to the 4000 series. I'm not sure of the price difference or hp. The 4100 is a 20hp diesel. Sounds small but never any complaints of lack of power. Let me know if you need any other info.

Steve

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If you are looking to do just grass cutting I would get a ZTR instead of a tractor style mower. You never listed what your 3 mowers are but if you are 14 they are not llikely ZTR's. Try one out before you get the tractor style.

4. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with cantoo.Why a tractor for mowing??Go with a "Z", you will not be disapointed.

5. LP

LP LawnSite Member

We focus on large commercial and residentials with lots of acreage and we use 62 and 72 toro mid z's and they are awsome for this type of bus. I would def. reconsider a slow tractor!

6. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

46, I have both ztr's and a 4310 j.d. The ztr's are faster at mowing than a tractor, but if you are set on getting a tractor I would consider more h.p. With the 4310 you can go up to a 72" belly mower or a 90" pull behind mower. It will take the extra h.p. to drive the wider mowers. I have no actual numbers to tell you the difference in mowing time of the two. I'm sure depending on the areas you would be cutting, but it would take the extra h.p. and the extra width in mowing deck to even come close to the 60" ztr. Your average 60" ztr can cut up to 5 arces per hour. I'm sure your J.D. dealer can tell you how fast a tractor with a 72" belly mower will cut, I think it is even wrote in the J.D. brochures how fast they can cut on average. There is alot more you can do with a tractor, and a tractor will last longer than a ztr. I have read you can get between 2000-3000 hrs. out of a ztr if serviced well, I'm pretty sure the diesels in the compact tractors will go twice that far, if not more. Plan on spending about twice as much though.

7. whacked_46

whacked_46 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help so far. Really the only reason why i want to go with a tractor is becuase of the attachments....I need a tiller due to all the gardeners out here. I want to get a ZTR but it will come in time.....Thanks for the help all

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Buy a good used garden tractor with a 3' or 4' tiller. They'll get in tight spaces and do the wide areas. Get one with at least 15hp for a 36" tiller if possible. Gear drive too with low range or hydro if it doesn't push the tractor alot. I have a '93 Wheel Horse 520H with a 36" tiller and 20hp twin Onan, never need all that power but would use most of 15hp. Neighbor has a 48"? on a 17hp twin Kohler JD 317, it does fine job. Maybe his isn't that wide but it's bigger than mine. Both our tractors are hydro and do fine but mine seems to push alittle? I don't really like this tranny I think it has a personal problem so all others are probably good and a hydro would be nicer for tilling if it don't push the tractor.
    Then get a Z (used or new) for the mowing part. JMHO,
    good luck in '03
    Eric

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If I were going to buy a sub-compact diesel tractor, I'd be leaning real hard towards a Kubota BX 2200 or larger. New Holland also has a very good sub-compact.

Massey Ferguson finally entered the sub-compact arena this past year as well. But their design is not as proven as Kubota or New Holland. Expect to spend over $10,000 new though....

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Well are you thinking about using this tractor for mowing then too? Cause those big compact tractors are more for landscaping use and less mowing. If you want both look at JD's 400 series lawn mowers, they have Diesel engines but also come with a 60" deck too for mowing. Or yeah look into a used JD they have been known to have the best lawn tractors for garden use but also attachment wise. If you want a big landscape tractor my guess is JD makes good ones along with New Holland.
    ZTR is nice but little amount of attachments.
    Matt