new season...no drought, no water restrictions in north east

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenworldh20, Mar 2, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

this season, i believe, will be our best by far. we are very excited with the irrigation projects on our 2003 board and what will come. residential market will be flooded during springtime. many systems were not activated last season. our service techs are anticiapting the long hours they will have to put in.

also install crews are gearing up for a looooooooooooonnnng season. all in all, we are all looking forward to a very busy season.

good luck to all.

brian

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in NJ there are 2 separate bills proposed to make permanent some of the drought restrictions. So restrictions may indeed continue for our future here.

Good luck with all of that work!

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Brian you lucky dog. I have heard that we will not get more than 2 days a week this year and it could change to less than that if water levels don't rise. We are having 60+ degrees all week which will take a lot of our snow cover throughout the state. Yes we need the water to melt and fill the reservoirs, but not this early. It is going to make our soil too dry too early.

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

lets all pray for a healthy season...dana, i feel for ya...you are in a bad area...at least you can sell monthly service contracts to monitor the systems....i could do nothing all of last season.

as for the odd/even watering new jersey is proposing: i have no problem with it...you shouldnot be watering everyday unless you have a HUGE system and run half monday wednesday friday and the other half tuesday thursday saturday.

brian:p

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Where did the info come from on the bills? I'm interested. Any bill numbers or sponsors?

6. BRL

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

The legislation is for a fixed set of drought emergency rules so they don't have to concoct them every time there is a problem.

From practical experience I now stoutly defend daily watering. For 30 years I was every other day when irrigation was required. 2 years ago I tried cutting the time in half and going daily. The turf was great. I did this with myself, several homeowners on wells not regulated by municipalities and one large retirement complex. Don't knock it till you try it.

The recommendation of 1", once per week is an undocumented, unproven bunch of nonsense promoted by people that know nothing about plants, turf, soils, water or evapotranspiration. I know run everything or suggest programs based on historic evapotranspiration data for my area.

8. maverick

maverick LawnSite Member

9. maverick

maverick LawnSite Member

A correction: I wanted to say 'HBFOXjr'
    I apologize.

10. BRL

I may have posted the wrong link. Last year, or maybe even the drought before that, there was a proposal to do exactly what Harold said. Maybe I posted that link instead of the link to the newly proposed legislation mentioned in the many newspaper & TV stories? I got the link from another green industry web site that had an article like the Star Ledger one referenced by Maverick. Maybe they postedsthe wrong link?