1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Seed Lawn Install Questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JohnsonLawn, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that would like me to put in a new seed lawn. The lawn that is there now is very uneven and has very sandy soil. I had thought of putting a heavy layer of loam down over the lawn and reseed from there. But, now I realize that this might not be the best choice. I am concerned with changing the height of the lawn around patios and walkways. I am thinking of scraping the sod off with the bobcat, then adding my loam to amend and reseed from there. What do you think? Also, he would like to have irrigation put in. Should this be done after the lawn is established or can it be laid down before I seed. I have done a number of new lawn installs before but not a renovation like this. Thanks for any info.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You want your irrigation in before the lawn and if you have never done that kind of work before I suggest you or the customer hire an irrigation instaler to do that part of the job.You have the steps pretty well down as far as the seeding goes jusy make sure you mix your loam into the top several inches of sandy native soil and dont take alot of soil off with the sod you remove.You should do the finAL grade with a landscapers grade rake and grade it so it drains away from the home ,remove any debri ect before seeding and roll it for a firm base for the seed to take root in,then seed and water and I personaly use a topper over the seed but that is up to you

3. JohnsonLawn

Sheshovel, are you saying I should put down the loam and do a rough grade, then have the irrigation installed (which I am subbing out) and do my final grade and seed after the install is complete. Also, I was planning on taking about 4" to 6" of the exsisting lawn out with the machine. Would you take more? Thanks for the help. Mike

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes that is what I am saying andf NO that's fine amount to take out..just get as much as you can out then add to fill low spots and add your amendment and do as I said above.rip out the old then get youe irrigation guy out there and you can tell him what the final grade will be.He has to complete his work before you can do yours

5. JohnsonLawn

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

A Power Rake would be a usefull item

The right time of year would be helpfull

Grading should be complete before the irrigation goes in

Subcontracting this job would be a good idea,since you have the job but not the knowledge to get it done correctly.If you subed this one you would know how to do the next one.

7. JohnsonLawn

I am comfortable with install, just was not sure about timing on the irrigation part. Thanks for your input.

8. JohnsonLawn

Would a sod cutter be a good choice for removing the old turf and then use a small bobcat or dingo to move loam around. Area is 7500 sq ft. I want this to be efficient as possible.

9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

For some one who has done a number of lawn installs your asking a lot of basic questions.:laugh: :laugh:

10. JohnsonLawn

I believe I said that I done a number of NEW lawn installs. These have all been small 2500-5000 sq ft. lawns. I have done 7 different install projects (which I know is not alot), but they have all come out well and the clients were very happy. I started this post because I have never been asked to do a renovation like this before. This will also be the first lawn I install with irrigation (which I am subbing out). I was always taught "the stupid questions are the ones you don't ask", so I'm asking. Just figured I would get some opinions from you folks. Funny,if I didn't ask and I started a thread on "My nightmare lawn renovation", all I would have heard was " you should have asked". All joking aside, I really do appreciate the help. Thanks