New seed struggling ....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CapeWillard, Jun 17, 2008.

1. CapeWillard

CapeWillard LawnSite Member

Newbie here. I seeded (Jonathan Green Black Beauty) approx 13,000sq.ft at my home 5 weeks ago (Cape Cod, Massachusetts). The soil was decent sandy loam. I did a lot of Bobcat work so I was nervous about the site being too compacted. Because of this I tilled up the entire yard, re-raked and spread the seed w/ a broadcast spreader. I put down a little less than 100lbs of JG Black Beauty seed along w/ JG Starter Fertilizer w/ crab grass preventive. I also applied lime the same day. Germination started on day 9 and has continued slowly. Right now I am a bit disappointed as the entire yard has grass, but it is very thin and seems to be pretty weak. Also, what has come up is growing extremely slow. I don't have any blades longer than 2". I know the current condition of the lawn is due to in part to runoff and the fact the site isn't perfectly level which has created small pockets. I have an irrigation system and have kept the area moist this whole time. I have been watering up to 6 times a day (approx 8 mins each zone) until last week when I decided to cut back a bit and see if that helped. I am at a loss of what to do now. I have kept off the lawn until now b/c I am afraid if I walk on it now it will die under my feet. When I grab a blade of grass it pulls out rather easily. Should I re-seed? If so w/ the same seed or try something different? What about slicing new seed in ... will the machine tear up and kill what I already have? Should I re-apply starter fert? Any ideas? I'm at a loss of what to do here. Thanks for reading.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would certainly hit HARD with starter fert. again, myself. It is overdue.

3. CapeWillard

Thanks, Joe. Would you use a starter fert w/ crab grass prev. again or should I try another type? How much do you think I should put down over 12,000sq.ft? Thanks.

4. vtec94

vtec94 LawnSite Member

i thought putting crab grass prev will prevent new seed from establishing??

5. CapeWillard

I guess that is a common misconception? Or maybe this type of fert is new to the market?? I'm not sure but I am looking at the bag of "Jonathan Green Crabgrass Preventer Plus New Seedling Lawn Fertilizer".

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'm not familiar with that, so could you list the chem ingredients from the bag. That work "Seedling" bothers me. Seed is not seedling. It may just have a pre-em in it. Hope not.

7. CapeWillard

... didn't mean to bother you, RAImaroa - that's what we call it here. It is a 10-15-10 fert containing Tupersan (Siduron).

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is ok. I would stay away from the crabgrass control now, though. Pound it with something like 18-24-12, and watch your watering times. you should be watering a bit deeper by now (to reach the root system). I would love to see some pictures to see just where it is (how far along). You can have a FULL thick lawn by season's end if we do it right.

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

It's pretty common for grass to germinate, grow about one inch and then just stop and start to turn yellow. It needs fertilizer. This is especially true on a sandy soil because the nitrogen will leach out with all of the irrigation.